Inside door handle and mechanism

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Inside door handle and mechanism

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

OK I need to repair the door latch actuating strap, figure 32 item 45 (A model IPC) after it was broke by actuating the door handle in the wrong direction.

After looking this mechanism over it is clear the parts are made to use on either side door. Pin figure 32, item 55 can go either in the top hole or the bottom hole.

Question is which is the correct hole. Mine was in the top but the door handle was able to rotate in the wrong direction causing the damage.

I'm thinking it should be in the bottom hole which would stop the door handle from rotating wrong but I'm thinking will not clear the actuatin strap previously mentioned.

So any one know which hole the pin goes in? Also what direction to the door handles point when they are correct. Front or back, they can go either way?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bobo

Door Assembly

Post by Bobo »

Bruce,

To answer some of your questions.

1.) I have my door handles facing forward and angling up. I did this
so they will lock and stay locked. As you know to lock the door
you are suppose to push up if the door handle is put on correctly.
(facing towards the rear) But mine always kept falling down to
the unlocked position, so
I reversed the handle. Dave has handles the same way.

2.) When I took my door latch apart I found Item 45 in TWO pieces and
were riveted together with the smallest rivetes I ever saw.
So I made a new item 45 using .025.

3.) I think the pin goes in the upper hole.

Hopes this helps.
Bob Ohlson
N3857V '49 170A
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Well maybe it helps. Didn't know that you where suppose to be able to lock the door with the inside door handle. With this in mind I can see how this might work and the pin at the top then stop the handle from rotating enough to destroy the actuating arm.

But my actuating arm which looks to be unaltered till it just broke, is to long to allow the proper geometry between the door handle shaft arm (28 fig 32, A model IPC), the latch actuator arm (#45) and the latch assembly to actually lock the door. What happens instead is the actuating arm gets twisted back on itself and breaks after a few locking attempts. The door handle shaft arm never comes in contact with the pin (#55) which is suppose to stop this from happening.

I have another actuating arm that has the same overall length but the slotted end that attaches to the latch assembly is shorter. If I used it the same thing would happen.

Arrggg.
:x :x
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com