Rudder Alignment Question

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N2520V

Rudder Alignment Question

Post by N2520V »

This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. I'm restoring a '48 ragwing and just bolted the rudder onto the v-stab and noticed something curious. When the counter-balance is in the neutral position, the rudder is deflected about 3 degrees to the right. A thorough inspection revealed no damage to the rudder spar or counterbalance rib. I'm at a loss to explain it. It's been suggested by my mechanic that it was possibly manufactured that way. Anyone have any info?

Thanks.

-Dustin
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Are you certain the Vertical Stabilizer is true? Is it possible the upper rib and counterbalance of the rudder is slightly twisted? (Caution: A common method of locking the controls on these airplanes is to use wedges or wood blocks, etc. to "lock" the rudder to the vertical stabilizer. This leads to damage to the rudder because the counterbalance is simply not sufficiently robust to absorb winds/helicopters/etc. without damage. It's very possible your rudder has been so damaged.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

The rudder can be damaged, as George described. If no damage is apparent, it is more likely that the rudder has been reskinned without being properly jigged to maintain symmetry. Not uncommon.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
N2520V

Post by N2520V »

Guys, thanks for the info. Looks like we'll be doing some work to correct this. I appreciate the feedback!

-D