stall warning horn

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dlords

stall warning horn

Post by dlords »

heres a dump question what is the red light in the middle of some 170 stall horns for. Is it a stall light or is it the low voltage light for the generator?
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

It's a stall light and should come on when the stall horn blows. At least mine does but I can't see the light through the terribly dirty and dark red lense.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
mit

Post by mit »

N9149A wrote:It's a stall light and should come on when the stall horn blows. At least mine does but I can't see the light through the terribly dirty and dark red lense.
Like you would be looking at the light when your stalling! :?
Tim
jon s blocker

stall light

Post by jon s blocker »

When I put mine in the panel I rebuilt, I put the horn under the panel like the '55 model, but put the light in the panel just above the yoke. The first time I did an evening flight, as I was landing, the light came on and scared the bejesus out of me. I had cleaned it and didn't think anything about it until the first dark landing. Until that time I had not noticed it. It got my attention, although not looking at it directly, BAMB, it was there. You don't have to be looking directly at it to see it, and that is their main function. You can be looking out the windshield and still be aware of the stall condition, (although the horn should also be functioning at that time). Jon
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Mine has changed colors thru the years I guess, It's currently a kinda bluish white, didn't really notice it until a night flight. Last year sometime the fuse must of blew, didn't realize until the annual, oh well
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

There's a stall warning light? I will now have to look and see if I have one and if it works. Been so focused on landing straight that I never looked at the instruments at touch down. Hmmmmmmm

Paul
N3458D
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Paul-WI wrote:There's a stall warning light? I will now have to look and see if I have one and if it works. Been so focused on landing straight that I never looked at the instruments at touch down. Hmmmmmmm

Paul
N3458D
Check it on the ground or in a stall at altitude. :wink: If you check it on landing, you might not recognize the view out the windshield when you look back up! 8O

I've had my airplane almost 25 years and I can't recall ever looking to see if the light works (it's been over 6 years since my last night flight). The horn does work, and I usually warn new passengers not to worry about it when it goes off. I just tell them that is the airplane telling me it's ready to land.

Miles
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

If you check it on landing, you might not recognize the view out the windshield when you look back up!
Good point! :lol:

Paul
N3458D
flyer170

Light

Post by flyer170 »

You are kidding me, there is a stall warning light some where in my aircraft.
I hear the horn.
Bob
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Shocked the heck out of me as well when the stall horn fell apart in my had and there was a light bulb inside. 8O
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

Re: Light

Post by cessna170bdriver »

flyer170 wrote:You are kidding me, there is a stall warning light some where in my aircraft.
I hear the horn.
Bob
I'm not sure about the other models, but the one in my '55 B-model is right under where the pilot's yoke goes through the panel.

Miles
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

I removed the stall warning light - primarily because I did not see it most of the time - and instead wired the right front seat. Now, when the stall warning horn goes off my wife screams from the shock and I am made aware of the stall attitude.
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

Heres where it was originally - to the left of the control column. As a kid, I used to watch it when Dad landed just to see the light come on.

Mine is now under the panel - I can hear it but not see it. Wonder if the light still works???

http://www.eaa701.org/images/projc170/paint22.jpg
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Hey that's my panel... or was. 8)

BTW, I've moved that site to http://www.damowry.com so you might want to update your links before those old pages become unavailable.
Doug
trake

Post by trake »

I dont have a stall light or horn. Theres a cheesy wag aero single probe EGT in the hole where it should be [below the pilots control tube]. Is it legal not to have one?
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D