The Cost of Flying

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

The Cost of Flying

Post by cessna170bdriver »

A good thread on another forum:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?t=26814

Miles
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

Up here the Blackhawks are either rescuing you, or chatting with you on the air-to-air frequency about what a nice day for flying it is.

You can land (almost) anywhere you want.

And the FAA is, literally, here to help.

There are some things about Alaska that I won't miss when I am inevitably due to transfer back to the world. But flying isn't likely going to be on that list.

BTW now that I own I am careful NEVER to estimate the costs of flying, for I fear I would sell the airplane the very next day if I did :wink:
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
Dward

Post by Dward »

Good post Miles.

Alaskaflyer you sure make it sound good. Do you have cross winds up there? :)
Dave W

88 cyclo polisher
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

The poster pretty much reflects my philosophy: I really don't want to know exactly what it cost. I still have a pile of untotalled receipts from my engine overhaul last year, and I'm not convinced any useful purpose would be served by adding them up after the fact. I was and still am able to pay the rest of the bills, so I guess it was affordable no matter what the number was.

I have a quote posted on my bulletin board at work by an unknown (at least to me) author that says:

"Aircraft ownership is an incurable form of madness for which there is no known cure, so quit bi^&%in' and write the check!"

(edited slightly for a family forum :wink: )

Miles