Tailcone Skin Damage

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N2520V

Tailcone Skin Damage

Post by N2520V »

I have been restoring a 1948 ragwing that's finally getting close, I think, to being ready to re-assemble, but I had a bit of a setback yesterday. I removed the tailwheel mounting bracket and replace it due to a bend and discovered damage to the rear bulkead, part no 0512108-3, and the lower skin. The rear bulkead has cracks through the bolt holes for the tailwheel spring bracket on both sides. The lower skin has a number of dings and dents in it just ahead of the bulkhead.

I *believe* the bulkhead is repairable, but I'm unsure as to whether or not to worry about the dings in the skin. My mechanic is on the fence as well. Has anyone seen damage to this area? Looking for some opinons as the whether or not the lower skin should be doubled or replaced or just left alone.

Thanks in advance!.

-D
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

I'm doing the tailwheel bracket modification and replacing the aft skin and rear bulkhead. I got the rear bulkhead from Air Repair, skin came from Aircraft Spruce and I plan on cutting it with the old skin as a pattern. Another member, Mike Roe has done some extensive rpair in the area and I have a few pitcures of his quality work that I could send, pending his agreement if you like. So Far I have about $700-800 in the repair.

Only catch, I'm not sure if the 48 model is the same as the A/B/L-19, in regards to this bulkhead.

v/r,
Jud
1950 170A: N9191A s/n 19366
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You will never be in a better position to make the airplane "right" than now. Re-skin it, is my recommendation (not double it....replace the damaged skin.) The 0512108-3 bulkhead is the same in all models, but the tailwheel bracket is different on later airplanes. This is also the time to strongly consider using the later, "fishmouth" tailwheel bracket 0512000-75 . The Service Kit instructions are available from TIC170A Parts/MX guy....(a really swell guy, and he will send this to you since you are a Member and he will tell you how your TIC170A membership gets you a nice discount on all the parts. Check your PM Inbox.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

You will never be in a better position to make the airplane "right" than now. Re-skin it, is my recommendation (not double it....replace the damaged skin.) The 0512108-3 bulkhead is the same in all models, but the tailwheel bracket is different on later airplanes. This is also the time to strongly consider using the later, "fishmouth" tailwheel bracket 0512000-75 . The Service Kit instructions are available from TIC170A Parts/MX guy....(a really swell guy, and he will send this to you since you are a Member and he will tell you how your TIC170A membership gets you a nice discount on all the parts. Check your PM Inbox.)
George,

Not familiar with the "fishmouth" tailwheel bracket 0512000-75. :( Do you have any pictures, diagrams, verbage, etc.? :?

My 1953 Cessna 170B is in the right condition to consider installing if it is not too expensive and will improve my C170B. :wink: I have noticed a small wrinkle in the tail cone skin; :? but, it is very difficult to see unless the light is bouncing off the skin just right. 8)

Remel :D
Remel_Cooper@BellSouth.net
Jacksonville, Florida 32256
1953 Cessna 170 B N3011A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Cooper wrote:...George,

Not familiar with the "fishmouth" tailwheel bracket 0512000-75. :( Do you have any pictures, diagrams, verbage, etc.? :?

My 1953 Cessna 170B is in the right condition to consider installing if it is not too expensive and will improve my C170B. :wink: I have noticed a small wrinkle in the tail cone skin; :? but, it is very difficult to see unless the light is bouncing off the skin just right. 8)

Remel :D
"Verbage" ??? ME????? :!:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Your 170B already has this "fishmouth" bracket as original. See the IPC for the 170 B. (170 and 170A aircraft used the smaller, steel, 0512125 and 0512125-1 brackets. These earlier brackets did not have as much "purchase" or rivetted area to "grab" the tailcone stinger. This frequently leads to cracking etc. especially when operating on unimproved surfaces.
The later 0512000-75 bracket is a long, thick aluminum one, and has two long "fingers" (lending itself to the aka "fishmouth") that rivet upon the longerons inside the tailcone, giving greater surface area to the attachment.
While I would not change out an earlier bracket just "for the heck of it"... if my earlier 170/170A airplane developed excessive, unrepairable damage such as that described in this area, I would not make repairs based upon the earlier bracket. I would modify the airplane to the later bracket using Cessna Service Kit SK 70A52-4. (or better yet, I'd join The Int'l Cessna 170 Assoc, save a tonne of money, and get their SK 70A52-4 instructions and parts from their discount parts supplier.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Cooper

"fishmouth" bracket

Post by Cooper »

George,

I did not know that my C170B had the "fishmouth" bracket for the tailwheel mount. :oops: I do appreciate the information and I will double check the tail cone and see what a "fishmouth" bracket looks like. 8)

I am a member and have been for a few years now. :D

Thanks again for all of your help. :wink:

Remel
Remel_Cooper@BellSouth.net
Jacksonville, Florida 32256
1953 Cessna 170 B N3011A
GAHorn

Re: "fishmouth" bracket

Post by GAHorn »

Cooper wrote:...I am a member and have been for a few years now. :D

Remel
Might check your membership status... like myself...you might occasionally forget and have let it temporarily expire? :oops: :lol:
allenkw

Post by allenkw »

George,

I am very interested in this SK 70A52-4 kit instructions and discount supplier info. I just recently spent some time "off field". On the final flight in/out I must have hit a rock just right, which resulted in a tweaked tailwheel mounting area. I own a 1950 170A and am considering going to the newer style you mention in the previous posts. What is the process I need to go through to get this since I am a current member?

Thanks for the help.
Ken
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

allenkw wrote:George,

I am very interested in this SK 70A52-4 kit instructions and discount supplier info. I just recently spent some time "off field". On the final flight in/out I must have hit a rock just right, which resulted in a tweaked tailwheel mounting area. I own a 1950 170A and am considering going to the newer style you mention in the previous posts. What is the process I need to go through to get this since I am a current member?

Thanks for the help.
Ken
If your email is correct...check your inbox later tonight. george