Aux Fuel tank and line installation

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jettech

Aux Fuel tank and line installation

Post by jettech »

I have a 1952 170b sn 20816 that was a basket case when I got it. Everything was removed they were going to rebuild it but lost interest. Anyway I've done alot of work but having a problem running the aux tank fuel lines. Per the log book it was installed at cessna, test flights with aux. There is nothing in the IPC. I've located an stc 337 for another acft and it looks like the fuel line is run down the left side belly to a PA 12 main fuel valve then to the main line. From what I can figure mine was run just slightly to the right of center fuselage up to the main line but I can't find any shutoff valve installation. Is there anyone that has the same type installation? If so can I get some info and pictures. Any help apprieciated I don't want to reinstall the floor panels until everything is done below.
jatkins

Post by jatkins »

When you say aux tank, do you mean the Javelin Aux tank which goes on the floor behind the rear seat ?

If so the fuel line goes up the r/h side of the AC above the rear side window , to above the door , where a "T " fitting joins it to the fuel line from the r/h tank.

I think there is a statement in the installation instructions about routing it through the floor , but I am going on memory :?: , I think the floor option was for C 172 s ?

I have a full set of drawing , flight manual supplement. :lol: I could try to find a way of getting the drawings copied , 2 or 3 pages I believe.

I am away on a trip untl next weekend , so I can not even look at it until the begining of Feb.
CF-HER
52 170B 20292
jettech

aux fuel tank

Post by jettech »

The system is a Javelin but is mounted up high at fuselage curvature.

Another member mentioned an electric pump installation that makes sense with the way my fuel lines are laid out but not sure where it was mounted and controlled.

If I could get a copy of your installation drawings it would definitely help.

jettech
52 170b 20816
I know I sent you an email but learning the system as far as posts go. I thought I would put it up so everyone can learn.
Thanks again
James

Re: Aux Fuel tank and line installation

Post by James »

I have a Javelin 18 gallon baggage compartment aux tank installation that I will be selling. I have no installation drawings or flight manual supplement. I would like to sell it with paperwork. Would you sell me copies of your drawings and supplement?
Thanks,
Jim
GAHorn

Re: Aux Fuel tank and line installation

Post by GAHorn »

I have the installation dwgs for the Javelin tank in a 170 and can get them copied, but beware... last time Kinko's did them they weren't cheap. (full sized blueprints) Anyone wanting them should send me an email. (address on the flypaper) or via gahorn (at) cessna170 (dot) org
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)