battery box and dripping fuel

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Gerald_Glaser

battery box and dripping fuel

Post by Gerald_Glaser »

I went out o the plane today because on my last flight, before starting the aircraft and after turning on the fuel selector, I noticed fuel vigorously dripping from the carburetor. This is the second time I have seen this - A tap with a stick of wood on the carb body stopped this. (Anyone else seen this happen? Is it a sticky float? Carb was just rebuilt 3 years ago.)

Anyway - it occurred to me that I didn't turn off the fuel selector and I started imagine a pool of fuel in the hangar. The visual got too strong, so I headed down to the hangar.

There was no issue - and no dripping. However while under the cowling I noticed white fur growing under the battery box on the firewall. The protective paint I had put there was eaten away..
I flushed this - pulled the battery and found holes had been eaten into the back of the box. I did the customary epoxy repair, but I think it is time to replace the box.

Does anyone have a box and supplier to suggest?
Are the fiber boxes offered by WagAero and Spruce intended to mounted on a firewall?

(Wish I had bought the Concord last year instead of another Gill)

thx - Gerry
Flying N1298D a 1951 C170A
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

My carb started leaking like that years ago and it turned out to be the float was in the bowl crooked and was dragging on the side of the bowl. The screws were loosened and the float re-aligned and the problem went away.

If the battery box has been cleaned out, you might want to swab the inside of your battery box with CorrosionX or ACF-50, along with the terminals. It will stop the corrosion from coming back.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Jr.CubBuilder

Re: battery box and dripping fuel

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I'm in the same situation as you Gerry as far as the battery box. Just discovered it a week ago, let us know if you find a source for replacement boxes, I'll do likewise.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Guys-
Try Air Salvage of Dallas, ask for Lucky,

http://www.asod.com,

1361 Ferris Rd
Lancaster, TX 75146
(972) 227-1111,

They had a bunch of 25A Cessna battery boxes the last time I was there. Might not be from a 170 but it will be the same box. Give them dimensions and/or email a picture to make sure you get the right one. They are good about knowing what you need.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I had the same thing happen on the way back from Galveston last summer. I removed the plug out of the bottom of the carb and flushed some fuel through it into a clean container. I found a few small specks of crud that could have been holding the needle off its seat. All has been well since.

Re the battery box, I got lucky and found a used one at an online auction. You might also try one of the salvage outfits.
The one I bought supposedly came out of a Champ or Cub, but only differed from my original in the mounting holes (and the fact that it wasn't rotted out). If it fits the battery, it can be made to work.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Hey thanks guys, I hadn't really thought about it till now but I guess the battery boxes are all pretty much going to be the same.