PropGuard and float operations

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

logsdon

PropGuard and float operations

Post by logsdon »

At the Kelowna convention I noticed a few 170s on the ramp with PropGuard which is a protective, leading edge laminate for fixed pitch props. Operating mostly on floats where water spray takes a toll on your prop, I thought it might be a good investment for the new McCauley 80" prop I just purchased. Now I'm starting to have second thoughts. In the instructions, it's noted that moderate to heavy rain may damage the PropGuard and that if any lifting, delamination or any non-transparent condition is found, the PropGuard should be removed or repaired prior to flight. I assume part of the thing flying off in flight might cause a bit of imbalance up front.

Almost all of my flying is in remote back country and I am having visions of having this installation coming undone and not being able to repair it or having to repair it in the bush and waiting for 24 hours or more for the stuff to cure. Has anyone who operates on floats installed this kit? If so can you advise me how resiliant it is to float operations and if it is worth installing on my pretty new McCauley.
mod cessna

Re: PropGuard and float operations

Post by mod cessna »

I am not impressed with this stuff. It does not last very long, at all, on floats. The water will eat it off in less then 20hrs. Imbalance?? It is a piece of tape you will never know it has departed the pattern.
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

I thought the same thing about the imbalance issue and am still sceptical of the stories I have heard about it coming off one blade in flight. However I have heard of a couple local guys that had one come off in flight and they claim they instantly new something was wrong cause it was really vibrating. Seems hard to believe. However I doubt one would come off in flight unless it was already delaminating before the flight. My thought is if you are out in the back country and notice one is delaminating just pull them both off and continue on your trip.
Shawn
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Some folks who have used PropGuard have installed it in two pieces on each blade. The tip section which erodes the most and could be removed or replaced in the field would be about 6". The main section would cover the rest of the leading edge and probably not need replacing for a long time.

I used it on an 86" prop on a C-185 for several months and finally took it off altogether. I installed it in one piece and the tip would separate and come apart in around 20 hours. When it did come apart, I really could not tell by the vibration but I could hear it. No big deal but I finally decided it wasn't worth it. Possibly the two-piece installation would work better, at least it would be easier to replace 6" instead of 3 feet.

The best usage for PropGuard I have found is to put it inside the engine compartment every place the baffle seals rub on the cowl or where the cowl rubs on itself. It absolutely stops the metal erosion, it wears like iron, and I have never had a piece wear out or come off.

Let us know how it works if you decide to use it.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

Thats a great idea to use that as a chaff strip for baffle seals. I wonder if some of the accellerated wear you experienced on your 86" prop was due to the tip speed of your prop. Just thinking out loud. I have never tried using it myself.
Shawn
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Shawn-
There is nothing better for a chafe strip than PropGuard. It will not wear out anytine soon.

No doubt the tip speed on the 86" turning 2850 tore up the PropGuard. But there has not been any noticeable erosion on the prop since I quit using it either. The plane is on 3500 Aerocets and they don't throw much spray forward and up into the prop.

Several of us are leaving for Valdez this evening and staying until Sat evening. Look me up if you're there, I'd like to meet you. I'll be in a dark blue C-180.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

I wish I could make it to Valdez. I had planned on going but my son has a big soccer tournament this weekend and I don't want to miss it. I'll have to settle for the pancake breakfast at Soldotna airport.
Shawn