170B wings for a Cessna 170A

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

lawson

170B wings for a Cessna 170A

Post by lawson »

Hi-
Does anyone know if you can transfer wings from a Cessna 170B w/slotted flaps onto a 1951 Cessna 170A? I'd like to upgrade to wings with the B flaps.
Thanks, Cam
mit

Re: 170B wings for a Cessna 170A

Post by mit »

sell it and buy a B
Tim
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Well if I said that is was impossible then you might ask how did my 170A with B wings come about.

So the answer is yes you can swap the wings physically. And you might even be able to get the FAA to approve it. But to be perfectly honest., you don't want to install B model wings on your 170A.

The ailiron and flap cable runs are totally different between the A and B model and all will have to be replaced. Here is what you will need.

A B model flap handle and associatied hardware. The B model flap cable pulleys for the floor center and outboard and hardware to attach them. A B-model rear carry through spar with the B model flap and aileron pulleys. B model flap and ailiron cables. B model struts. And of course the B model wings. Oh and don't forget a new headliner with the zipper going the right way to inspect newly placed cables and pulleys.

Do yourself a favor. If you must have the B model flaps sell your perfectly good A model to someone as it is and buy a B model. When you buy the B model you also get the balanced elevator and most likely depending on the year, better heat.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
lawson

Post by lawson »

Hi-
Thanks for your advice on the wings. I'll drop the thoughts of swapping out wings-way too much hassle.
Cheers,
Cam