Which Engine Cover?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

flat country pilot

Which Engine Cover?

Post by flat country pilot »

Christmas is coming and I am thinking of putting the two blankets I currently use as a cowl and prop cover to other uses.

Which engine cover are you guys using?

Which one has the best fit and functionality?

Easiest to use?

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
djbaker

Re: Which Engine Cover?

Post by djbaker »

I have two and I can't remember the names but one has velcro straps that is very hard to work. You have to crawl under the plane to connect the straps. The one I now use and love has long rubber straps with rubber balls at the end. These come up around to pieces of strap and just push through. Fits like a glove. I'll look in the hangar at the brand and give you the good one.
JIM BAKER
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

djbaker wrote:...The one I now use and love has long rubber straps with rubber balls at the end. These come up around to pieces of strap and just push through. Fits like a glove. I'll look in the hangar at the brand and give you the good one.
Sounds like a Kenon cover. That's what I have. It also has two bungees going back around the wing struts. You can put it on and take it off without removing your gloves! 8O
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

I vote for Alaska WIng Covers. Good fit, easy bungee straps with loops (no big rubber balls that bang around). Maybe a bit pricey but I like them better than Kennon.

http://www.alaskawingcovers.com/CowlingCovers.html

Bruce
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Use thin foam sheeting and duct-tape to fashion prop blade slip-covers. Fit them tightly up against the crankshaft/spinner. (Props are efficient heat-sinks and dissipate heat away from engines very quickly.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

jrenwick wrote:
djbaker wrote:...The one I now use and love has long rubber straps with rubber balls at the end. These come up around to pieces of strap and just push through. Fits like a glove. I'll look in the hangar at the brand and give you the good one.
Sounds like a Kenon cover. That's what I have. It also has two bungees going back around the wing struts. You can put it on and take it off without removing your gloves! 8O
Got my Kenon about 2 months ago, like the bungies going back, like the fact I can put it on and keep my gloves on also. Made my prop covers from scrap carpet padding and duct tape. Thought about a stocking cap for the spinner just haven't gotten there yet.....(still working on my tomato sauce cans) :lol:
W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

Today I went out and cut the velcro straps off the old cover and replaced them with a bungee and large clips. Now it works great. I'm going to give it to my wife for her Christmas present. Think I'll survive :?: :lol:
JIM BAKER
mit

Post by mit »

Tim