What tools and spare parts would you bring?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jaime72

Re: What tools and spare parts would you bring?

Post by jaime72 »

Richard,

I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will cooperate for a coast trip. We are bringing a 1000w Honda generator which runs off AvGas for the Tannis heater, as well as a catalytic heater. My personal cut-off now in my Citabria is 0 to -10F. I am very conservative when it comes to running my motor in cold temperatures. Last I checked Lycoming still wasn't offering free replacements!

The coast route would be far more scenic, and as you mentioned, every stop on the way is served by Alaska Air, unlike the interior route. That is a big factor in itself. Bottom line is we will have to see what the weather looks like around departure time. It is good to hear that you give a thumbs-up for the coast. When I mention the coast possibility to most people they think we are certifiable!

Thanks again for the info and I will post some pictures and a report when all is said and done.

Cheers,

Jaime
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

As deeply respectful of Bruce's mx capabilities (and truly mean that)... I am compelled to (tongue-in-cheek) point out his HUGE oversight of the most problematic failure HE is likely to experience.... Unlike the rest of us, He will not likley need a spare tailwheel mainspring. He will likely need a tailwheel assy. mounting bolt. :twisted:

Even I, carry a spare.

(Along with small Sears 1/4-drive socket set, set of combination (open/box) wrenches, screwdrivers (common/phillips) and .... this is hugely important.... an ADJUSTABLE wrench. (Don't forget, it can double for when you may have to back-up a bolt or nut with another wrench of the same size you have only one of.) My camping hatchet doubles as camping tent stake-driver, crash-axe, survival axe, tomahawk, and hammer. Large slip-joint pliers and combination needle-nose/cutting pliers. Electrical tape, duct tape/(whiskey), short coil of electrical wiring, coil of safety wire, a couple large/small cotter pins, zip-lock bag of asst'd screws/bolts/nuts/washers, and a cheap volt/ohm meter. Tire/tube repair kit (w/spare valve-core and press. gauge) and tailwheel tire/tube, main wheel tube only and foot-pump. Leatherman multi-tool, Bic lighter and a GOOD sheath knife. Spare zip-lok bags and large trash bags.) First Aid kit including Aspirin and hydrogen-peroxide (besides a wound-wash, it makes kids and dogs throw up anything they shouldn't have eaten.) Bottled water. (hang onto the bottles.) I keep all that stuff in a bright, red/yellow, back-pack (like school kids use these days.) I might have to hike out with it.

Cheap plastic poncho's and space-blankets fit inside a shirt-pocket, along with mosquito head-net in summer.

That's about all the dead-weight I want to carry other than my sleeping-bag/air mattress, chocolate-bars, nylon's, prophylactics, and .45 pistol*. :lol:

*(In Canada, 12 ga. sawed-off 18.5" along with shot and slugs)

(I do like the idea of salami/summer-sausage.)

Ain't it fun to imagine self-reliance?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Zreyn

Post by Zreyn »

Truth is it don't matter which tools or spares you take they ain't gonna be the ones you need when you get some where else so you may as well go as light as you can on the tools & spares & load up on lux items like spirits & chow.I like smoked oysters & sardines in mustard sauce,beanie weenies,potted meat,spam,VI eenie sausage & of course lots of crackers! :D :D
Do unto others............
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I note that George is hell bent on becoming a real "Sourdough". His emergency gear includes a serious firearm and prophlactics. If memory serves, initiation as a certified sourdough requires one to shoot a bear and acquire carnal knowledge with a klootch.(Native lady of the evening)
Be sure, George, that these requirements are performed in the proper order. Both the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and The Alaska State Troopers consider it bad form to shoot the klootch, not to mention the possible results if the bear has a headache.
BL
wwingsong

Post by wwingsong »

satellite phone and an american express card, 12 gauge, and salt and pepper.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

The Canadians are now charging $50/gun/year if you decide to take one into Canada. DO NOT take a pistol or military rifle into Canada, they will confiscate it. I refuse to pay a ransom to carry a gun so I leave them all at home when flying thru Canada now. (BL- the bears are all hibernating now anyway) The Canadians originally required pilots flying over wilderness areas to carry a gun as part of required survival gear. Then the liberals got into office and they recommended pilots not carry a gun. Now they charge you if you do. And you better declare it with U.S. Customs before you leave the U.S. or you'll have to prove how you got it when you re-enter the U.S.

Again, the main reason to fly the coast (other than it is the shortest route) is the temperatures will probably be much warmer than the interior route which will probably be waaaaay below zero. Not good for many reasons. A minor inconvenience in warm weather can turn fatal below zero. I have flown the interior route in mid-winter several times but only because it had better ceiling and visibility than the coast and I only made quick-turn gas stops at the really cold spots. Luckily nothing happened and we made it ok.

Flying the coast, you don't have to fly over water out of gliding distance to land more than 30 minutes TOTAL from Seattle to Anchorage along the coast unless you choose to. You can fly up the coastline most of the way and cross at narrow spots in the few areas where it is necessary to cross water.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Unfortunately, on all of my trips to or from Alaska in light aircraft the coast route has been solid IFR with very low ceilings that precluded my using it.
On a trip south in 1950 in my Stinson L-5 I spent three days at Sikany Chief flight strip along the old Alcan Highway due to a snowstorm that overran me.
That was a long time ago, but meteorology is still not an exact science.

If you think guns are a hassle in Canada now, you should have seen the Canadian Customs Agent in Penticton,BC, on my trip north in 1995 when he saw my WWII 37mm Very Pistol emergency flare gun and cartridges. He had to make some phone calls, but I did get through with it.
BL
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

Back when I was involved in ocean racing sail boats many of the boat owners had a metal sleeve made for their 12 gauge flare pistols. The metal sleeve allowed the firing of a single 12 gauge shot gun shell.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"