rivet stc for '48 wings

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessnaford

rivet stc for '48 wings

Post by cessnaford »

has anyone got the phone number for the gentleman who has the stc to put rivets in you wings to replace the "cessna" clips.

thanks bill w.
Kurt Aichele

Re: rivet stc for '48 wings

Post by Kurt Aichele »

Bill,
His name is Dip Davis. His number is 815-568-6811. He lives in Marengo, Il. We just recovered our wings and went with the rivets. He is extremely helpful and an all-around great guy. He will give you all the support you need.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Bill,

I'm wondering why you would want to change to the rivets? I can't comment specifically on this mod but generally what I've seen of these types of mods is that they tend to destroy the wing rids making recover next time questionable and going back to the original method impossible.

I personally would be very cautious doing this.

Again I admit that I've not seen this mod but am commenting from what I've seen used on other aircraft mostly Pipers which do have different rib construction. I'd never use rivets on a Piper, it really destroys those ribs. This of course may not apply to the Cessna wing.

Just be very cautious and investigate thoroughly.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessnaford

Post by cessnaford »

easy answer.

my wings were metallized and the gentleman who had it before me stripped them. so i do not have any cessna clips (640 @ $.83 a piece) and i also have to deal with an extra hole drilled between the holes for the clips.

also the mechanic i finally found to do my work is very pro rivet because he has an ag cat and previousely owned a citabria. (both with rivets in the fabric)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Ah so your already dealing with a mod someone made that is no longer wanted. Don't forget when considering this new rivet mod what effect, if any, the holes from the previous mod might have on the new one. Don't know but they might prevent the use of the rivets.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com