Flap problem

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

km74

Flap problem

Post by km74 »

I had a 120 before and never used my flaps. I just started using them on my 170 and I noticed the right flap doesn't drop down as far as the left one. When I pull on the handle the left one immediatly starts to drop until it hits about 10 degrees, and then the right one will start to drop. Is there somewhere to adjust this? Is it possible that the cable fell off one of the pulleys somewhere? I pulled off the inspection plate at the wing root by the flaps and all the hardware looks good, nothing is bent. Any one have any suggestions? Thanks for any replies.

Ken
51 170A
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I believe the A model flap linkage is similar if not the same as my ragwing. I would check that the same amount is tension is on the LH and RH flap cables in the wingroot area,when the flaps are in the up position. I would also check that everything is connected properly where the single flap cable from the flap handle splits into two cables-- above the headliner,over the baggage compartment. There's a pair of turnbuckles there,to adjust LH/RH tension.Shouldn't be too hard to trace the cables out,checking the pulleys & connections as you go. The flaps are spring-loaded to the up position,you pull against the spring with the cable to lower them.

Eric
km74

Post by km74 »

I went out to look at the cables today and unzipped the headliner. it doesn't open very wide and there is metal rods going from the center to the outside of the fusalage that the headliner material is around. I tried pusing the rod out both ways and could not get it to come out to drop it down lower to get a better look. It is -23 here today so I didn't want to force it to hard and chance cracking the vinyl. I cracked some of it already when it was cold. Do you just pull down on these rods until they pull out or is their another way? Pulling the entire headliner out does not appeal to me. Thanks.

Ken
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Ken,those rods are just to keep the headliner from sagging. They pop into holes at either end,they should come loose with a little tweaking,then go back in the same way. That will get you a little better look inside. You can do a lot without removing the headliner,I had the wings off mine and all the cables pulled back into the fuselage,then re-connected,all with the headliner in place.

Eric
DensityDog

Flap problem

Post by DensityDog »

Ken,
You need to also look in the large inspection panels on top of
the wing inboard of the flaps. There are bellcranks, actuation rods and the uplock mechanism you need to inspect closely. Sounds like you might have a cable fraying problem which is quite common on these, especially if you park outside and the flaps get hammered by high winds.
Have a helper sit inside and work the flap handle up and down while you look in those areas and also above the headliner area.
Max
DensityDog

flap problem

Post by DensityDog »

OOops Ken I see you have already checked under those panels. Still, when you get your headliner down, you will see where the cable from the handle goes to a couple turnbuckles, then 2 shorter cables go to the individual flaps from there. It could be that these were never adjusted properly. The whole flap system is pretty simple- you will have no problem getting it right. If you need new cables, McFarlane has them.
Max
km74

Post by km74 »

After a closer inspection today I adjusted the cable tension with the turnbuckles. The cable was broken at one time and a clamp was used to splice the cable together, It looks like it was done some time ago. I didn't like the look of it so I am going to order new cables for both sides. I will just refrain from using the flaps until I get the cables in.

Ken
pauldpilot

flaps

Post by pauldpilot »

I'm doing the flap rigging thing also. The main cable was spliced, it is now new. The uplatch springs were missing, allowing the flaps to whip about in the wind. I replaced the springs, but haven't gotten the rigging right yet to get them to work. Anybody had any luck with these springs?
This is an A model.
pauldpilot