Beware maintenance done by Glen Forsyth

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Beware maintenance done by Glen Forsyth

Post by GAHorn »

From Avweb:
Mechanic Charged With Falsifying FAA Credentials

If you've had any work done by "The Plane Man" in Casa Grande, Ariz., you might want to have it checked by an A&P before your next flight. A federal grand jury has charged Glen Forsyth, 43, with five felony offenses resulting from a 100-hour inspection on an Alon Ercoupe in July of 2008. A week after the annual, the engine failed and the aircraft was written off in the off-airport landing that followed. LawFuel.com reported the post-accident inspection "caused FAA aircraft safety inspectors to believe that the fuel pump had not been properly inspected."

So, naturally they asked to talk to Forsyth and discovered that he was signing off airplanes with a number issued to another man in 1968. It's not that Forsyth is completely untrained, but he's failed the FAA exams three times and the agency is alleging he didn't take the hint and find another line of work. Forsyth has been charged with three counts of making false statements to a government agency and two counts of fraud involving airplane parts. Each charge carries a maximum penalty of five years in jail and a fine of $250,000.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Showboatsix

Re: Beware maintenance done by Glen Forsyth

Post by Showboatsix »

As I have asked before, Does the FAA issued license make you a good mechanic? Or does it simply make you "legally responsible for the work you just performed"?

The fact is I have met many unqualified A&P's who have a FAA license in their pocket, and a few very qualified ones who don't!

The moral of the story is, "check the guy out first, watch the type of work he/she does".
UAO, Aurora Oregon
Hanger 26
56' C-172, With Conventional Gear Conversion
S/N 28963
N6863A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Just making a happy commentary... technically speaking, the FAA does not "license" anyone. They "certificate" airmen and repairmen.

Whether or not a person is properly "certificated".... they are responsible for their work. IMO
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Showboatsix

Post by Showboatsix »

Semantics of words..... is the glass "half full or half empty!"

The results are the same.
UAO, Aurora Oregon
Hanger 26
56' C-172, With Conventional Gear Conversion
S/N 28963
N6863A
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

[quote="Showboatsix"]The fact is I have met many unqualified A&P's who have a FAA license in their pocket, and a few very qualified ones who don't!
[quote]

Using the first type makes you unfortunate, unwary, or unwise as the case may be.

Using the second makes you complicit.
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
johnsunday

Post by johnsunday »

So, from a guy who's been there, here's a retorical question....If the guy who signs off your annual, isn't a certified A&I, can you be charged with an FAR violation? Answer, yes you can. You are quilty of "Flying an Aircraft in an Un-ariworthy Condition." Neat stuff, huh.

When it comes to the Government, correct paperwork counts more than results.

John

'54 B N2786C, Beat up ole Alaska Bushplane
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The OWNER is responsible for maintaining the aircraft in an airworthy condition. Who you contract to do that work is obviously a serious matter.
torquey401

Post by torquey401 »

If the guy who signs off your annual, isn't a certified A&I, can you be charged with an FAR violation?
I think it would depend. If you were unaware the guy wasn't licenced, and everything seemed normal, I would think you'd be considered a victim of the scam.

If you were aware, and used this guy because he did work with an illegal certification everytime he signed for his work, I would think you'd be just as much to blame than the guy who actually did the work.

If this guy did good work, great. But if he did good work with knowing about his incorrect certification, he's totally liable and he's welcome to enjoy the fruits of his labour. :wink:
Azpilot

Post by Azpilot »

If I was at Casa Grande, I'd take my stuff to Tony Frost.

He did the covering on an Interstate Cadet that he restored.

Good mechanic, Upstanding no-nonsense guy.
1952/1996 C170B Turbo. Why? Because, thats why.
CFI/CFII at KDYL
learaviator

Post by learaviator »

He signed off the last couple of annuals on my plane, before I bought it, and he should be taken out and shot, talk about unsafe! The FAA sent me a letter as the new owner saying that several A.D.'s were in question as well as brake pads and the whole annual in general. When I questioned the condition of the aircraft while I was buying it, the local mechanic said that the IA (Forsythe) that signed it off knew that the owner was old and would not be flying it again, so he signed it off. Now that is some statement to make. Plus the mechanic that told me that said it like it made sense. Not a lot of integrity there.
"You can only tie the record for flying low"
1950 170A N9907A 180hp. STOL