Oil Pressure and Temp Gage

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle

Oil Pressure and Temp Gage

Post by Kyle »

Another instrument question -

Does anyone have any experience with the Electronics International's combination oil temp / oil pressure gage - the OPT-1. It's apparantly a 2 1/4" gage and I wonder if it can directly replace the current oil temp gage I have next to the pressure gage. If I could - both practicaly and legally, I would pull the temp and pressure gages and replace with this and a seprate suction gage too.

Seems as though I remember one of our members had one in a re-furbished panel and I was curious as to any modifications / fabrications needed to install.

You thoughts...

Thanks,

Kyle T.
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
jrenwick

Re: Oil Pressure and Temp Gage

Post by jrenwick »

Kyle,

Not quite the same thing, but I have an EI UBG-16 that I added temperature and pressure sending units to -- mostly so I could have an idiot light to tell me if I lost oil pressure. I have a digital temperature readout on the #7 bar, and I really like that. The oil pressure part began to read intermittently low after a while. After checking and reseating all the electrical connections without effect, I disabled the lower limit so I don't get a warning light any more when it fails. I should probably ship the sender unit back to EI to check it out, but it's a pain to remove this stuff from the system once it's installed.

I'm really glad I still have the original gauges, even if they don't have numbers, because they are simple and reliable, and don't use electricity. I don't believe it's legal to remove them, anyway. The electronic gauges are strictly supplemental.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Oh contrar John the EI gauges are approved as direct replacements for the originals. The combination oil temperature/pressure gauge shown in this picture has functioned flawlessly for 5 years. :)
170 progress    2004-12-29 003.jpg
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

According to their website: "The OPT-1 is a Primary Replacement, FAA STC'd, TSO'd instrument. "

This probably means you will required a Form 337 with IA signoff, of course.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Good Evening Everyone,

Thanks for your collective responses. I did a bit further searching and believe it's Richard Pulley's panel that has that gage in the original position. I'll try to get a PM out to him for any particulars he might have. OK - John E, with that panel - have you flown (or should I ask has it flown YOU) to all parts of the world and then some - HOLLY COW !!!! :mrgreen: - with envey !! (must have spelled that wrong)
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
bpaige

Post by bpaige »

I am working on my instrument panel and I really appreciate when you guys post photos of yours. Hilltop170's panel is very neat and clean and has been my favorite for awhile. The picture in this thread of Johneeb's panel is amazing. There have been others but these two stick out. Keep the pictures coming...
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Kyle,
Eric has put a few of those in, plus he is a EI distributor. He could answer any question you may have about the EI stuff.
Vic
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Vic,

I'll give him a call - thanks... I'll also send you a PM as I wouls really like to see some pics of your plane now that it's done.
Hope all is well on your end. I should have looked you up as I was in Sandy Hook and Bayone visiting some Coast Guard units there a few weeks back.

Kyle
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A