Back Seat Communication jack location

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mekstrand

Back Seat Communication jack location

Post by mekstrand »

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions on the "best" location for the back seat communication jacks. I'm planning an intercom installation and wondering what works the best.

Thanks,

Marshall
oz502man

Re: Back Seat Communication jack location

Post by oz502man »

G'Day Marshall,
I've just recently installed a Sigtronics SCi-S4 intercom as part of my annual/tidy up. I mounted the rear jacks in the rear door post trim piece.....
intercom jacks - rear
intercom jacks - rear
This is in an 'A' model, not sure if a 'B' or ragwing is different. I would recommend keeping the jacks high enough to miss the seat back when folded forward and position on the trim piece as to avoid fouling on the fuel lines which run down there. I kept mine above where the door latch stiker is so as to avoid weather that might get past the door seal. Leave plenty extra wire to make it easier to remove/refit trim piece.
dash.jpg
You can see where I mounted the front jacks here, I made the mistake of mounting one beside the other, which worked well until I refitted the upholstery and the trim piece which runs from the door post forward the dash obscured the jack, so I had to relocate it.
P.T.T switch
P.T.T switch
Not a fan of those velcroed on PTT switches I mounted the switch using a bracket bent up from some alclad attached with the control wheel screws.

Just some ideas to think about.

Hope this helps,

Noel
Work : AT502B
Play : '51C170A
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

An A model is indeed different from a B model. A B model has the fuel line, flap and aileron cables behind that trim piece. A very tight fit usually. I don't think I'd attempt to put the jacks there.

A popular place for the jacks is inside the rear ash trays on each side by retrofitting an aluminum plate in there and adding the plugs. With the lid closed you can see the plugs.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Ashtray-jackbox-composit.JPG
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yep. That's what I did,too.

BEWARE: of installing anything in the rear door-posts. Fuel lines and flap-cables traverse that area and several aircraft have suffered fuel-line damage from electrical arcing upon the fuel lines, and chafeing on the control cables.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
HA

Post by HA »

I put my rear jacks in the bulkheads beside the rear seat, they're fairly hidden and yet you can get right to them to connect or disconnect headsets. they're just below the level of the hatshelf.
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

My rear jacks are on the floor under the rear seat on either side.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

I put my jacks, like Robert Eilers, on the floor under the back of the back seat. They come up thru the center of the seat, and with long cords can be moved off to the side when the rear seat is out. I don't even do a separate weight and balance when I move them :lol: :lol:
JIM BAKER
mekstrand

Post by mekstrand »

Thanks to everyone who repiled.

Marshall
pojawis

Post by pojawis »

I installed the rear headphone jacks in the center of the hat shelf. I mounted them in a little plastic box (I think it came from Radio Shack) and then mounted the box to the shelf with screws from underneath.

If departing the aircraft for a short time, the headsets are put on the shelf and are out of the way until needed again. Was a little concerned about things falling in the jacks, but it hasn't been an issue in over 10 years.
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

I also installed my rear jacks under the hat shelf. Keeps all the wires behind the seat avoiding tangles as people are getting in and out of the rear seat.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL