Exhaust systems (Pancakes and HW's)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Would you be interested in new mufflers?

I would be interested in new Pancake replacements.
8%
I would find the price of these units to be acceptable @ $500 each.
8%
I would be interested in new Hanlon-Wilson shrouds priced @ $200.
25%
I would be interested in new Hanlon-Wilson mufflers @ $500 each.
58%

Total votes: 12

GAHorn

Exhaust systems (Pancakes and HW's)

Post by GAHorn »

I've been contacted by an exhaust re-anufacturer for some info on the old pancake muffs. He stated an interest in mfr'g new units if there were sufficient demand. (He also is interested in mfr'g HW replacements, ...the smaller ones correct for a 170, not the oversized ones intended for 172's that don't fit under our cowls.) I told him I'd ask the forum members for interest feedback.
Please advise by vote in this poll whether you are a candidate for new exhaust pancake muffs including all the assort'd other parts. (Price is always an issue, and the price would be in the $500 range for each of the muffs. Same thing for the HW replacements.)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

George,the poll feature isn't working too well for this multi-faceted question. I tried to vote yes for the first two options,you can only submit a vote for one at a time. When you try to vote your second choice,it tells you that you already voted.
So I'll tell you here,yes I'd be interested in new pancakes and yes,$500 isn't too bad a price for them. Cheaper would be better though,of course.

Eric
mit

Post by mit »

200 for the shroud seems a bit high.
Tim
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The shroud used to sell for $179 from WagAero, who no longer makes them. In fact, no one makes them.
It's perhaps important to note, that if one were to completely replace an entire exhaust system, with totally new parts, the invoice will run about $2k for both sides. One side: (prices from old WagAero cat.)
Muffler-$500
Riser, Front-$90
Riser, mid/rear-$100 ($50 ea.)
3 stack clamps-$85
3 gaskets-$20
Tailpipe-$165
Tailpipe clamp-$25
Tailpipe brace clamp-$24
Shroud-$200

Makes the exhaust inspection during a pre-buy pretty important, heh?
Bill Venohr

Post by Bill Venohr »

I can vouch for the importance of inspecting the exhaust in pre-buy. About 1 1/2 years after purchase I ended up replacing the entire exhaust system. I put on the smaller diameter Hanlon Wilson. No problems since at all. Off the top of my head I think the exhaust system cost around $1800 plus the labor to remove and install. I'm glad I put this issue to rest since I kept getting nickel and dimed to death trying to keep the old system operating safely.
Bill Venohr
N4044V
Aurora, CO
N170CT

Mufflers

Post by N170CT »

Ladies and gentlemen: for what it's worth, I replaced both of my Hanlon-wilson mufflers (Not shrouds) last year with some really fine units from Dawley. The cost was about $360 each exchange for some really crummy old mufflers. Even better, the folks at Dawley were very well informed and helpful. Just my one cent worth. Chuck
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Chuck, that's certainly an economical way to get an airworthy exhaust again...exchanging worn out parts for repaired parts. This is usually the case when shopping for replacements...most folks are being quoted/delivered units that have been worn out and repaired. The problem with some repairs (certainly not all) is that as an exhaust wears, one of the things that happens is the pipes, etc. get thinner and thinner due to erosion. As long as it looks like it'll do more service, a repair shop will leave used those peices to make up the repaired part. Of course, they never last as long as new units.
The prices in this poll are for new units.