Sad news

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Sad news

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

It might appear that another 170 and worse a fine rat plane has bitten the dust. Last night high winds pulled the pipes that my 170 was tied down to, out of the ground. Then the winds proceeded to push my plane 6 to 8 feet to the left of the tie down spot all that time bouncing it up on the left wing tip, folding it up and pushing the rear carry through spar up through the cabin roof. The left elevator is also damaged. requiring at least reskinning.
001.JPG
005.JPG
The wing tip
006.JPG
The carry through spar pushing up through the top cabin skin.
002.JPG
The elevator which is probably the least of the damage.

The aircraft is insured and the adjuster comes tomorrow. I think the carry through spar damage will do it in.

I'd really be upset but my mind has been preoccupied as my medical ran out November 30th and my special issuance paperwork has not come through hopefully because the FAA is so backed up. So I'm out of work with a new company that I was to start working for officially on December 1st, this after spending the last 2 weeks training up on two new to me helicopters.

The bright side is that if my 170 is totaled and I don't get my medical again I won't have to go through the trouble selling the 170 and it is insured for more than I could likely sell it for at this time. This is the silver lining I don't care to see right now.

What really hurts though is there may be one less 170 in this world though perhaps if it comes to that there will be parts to perhaps make a few others airworthy.

Time will tell. I of course will keep all informed.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
callisontx

Re: Sad news

Post by callisontx »

Bruce

I am sorry for your loss on the aircraft, but glad that you're OK. Hope the FAA comes through on your medical soon.

What are the 'pipes' that came loose? Were they cemented vertically in the ground, or secured horizontally somehow?
Clay Allison
'52 170B N2399D
'46 7AC N82519
15A

Post by 15A »

Bruce,

So sorry to hear that heart-wrenching news.
If these 170's have to go out, I'd rather see them go like that. Most of that plane will live on.
No need in looking back, it's a great time to buy a plane right now. Things change fast.
I'm in the Boston area. If there is anything I can do or look at for you, don't hesitate. And if you get up this way, you can fly mine!

Good luck and best wishes
Last edited by 15A on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Craig
'56 C172 Taildragger N6915A
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Bruce.
Very sorry to hear about your bad news. Hope everything comes out "OK", in all departments....Brad
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

Bruce,

Sorry to hear about this.

BH
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Bruce,
Sorry about your troubles and hope your medical comes through soon. Williams have a lot of usable wings, I know I left a good set there a few years back. On the lighter side this the perfect opportunity to add a totally different colored wing to keep you at the forfront of the "Rat Plane Class".
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Bruce Fenstermacher

The pipes are 1-1/2 inch diameter and about 2 feet long that I had driven into the ground at a 45 degree angle placing all but the top under the asphalt parking area. I've been using this set up nearly as long as I've owned the airplane as the airport installed cements tie downs are placed to far back for a tail wheel aircraft.

Apparently the high winds reported at more than 45 mph along with the rocking action of the aircraft on its landing gear pulled one of the pipes up and out and the winds then bounced and walked the plane towards the other one pulling it from the ground as well. The tail never became untied and the airplane ended up about 60 degrees from it's starting position.

W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Bruce

You better get it fixed up cause I'm not dragging the barrel of oil at the end of my runway back to the shop!! :wink:

W.

p.s. check your pm
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Well D...! Sorry Bruce to see/hear of your troubles. Hope all works well from the insurance end. Am thinking of you.....
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
Bruce Fenstermacher

OK Willie I'll be sure to inform the insurance adjuster to take that into consideration.

John before I saw the carry through spar damage I was thinking how am I going to repair this damage and keep that perfect patina I had going on the airplane. Then of course I was thinking some some zink chromate like green primer would be pretty cool.

One thing that will bug me replacing one wing is that these are L-19 wings and I will never feel right replacing one wing with a standard wing. That would only leave one wing with hard points for the rocket pods.

DWood

Post by DWood »

Come on Bruce, anything can be fixed!
Mine was wrecked 5 times before I bought and once after (not by me)
Dan
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

johneeb wrote:Bruce,
Sorry about your troubles and hope your medical comes through soon. Williams have a lot of usable wings, I know I left a good set there a few years back. On the lighter side this the perfect opportunity to add a totally different colored wing to keep you at the forfront of the "Rat Plane Class".
Bruce,
John has the right idea :wink: ......Brad
Bruce Fenstermacher

Anything can be fixed I know but at what cost? The insurance company has limits.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Sorry to hear of this, Bruce. I hope it works out well for you.
Any chance you could take some photos of the tie-downs which failed? (I have always been trying to convince folks that most tie-downs are inadequate, and I know yours were probably very convincingly-robust. A pic of them might go a long ways toward convincing others to inspect their own.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

Bruce,
I know the winds were terrific, and you know where I am. Just a phone call away.
John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT