Sad news

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Paul-WI

Re: Sad news

Post by Paul-WI »

Ouch - sorry to hear about your trouble(s). Amazing what wind can do.

Paul
Paul
N3458D
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Bruce,

You know this is bigger than just you. We all want to see your 170 back in the air with new wings and tailfeathers, even if they aren't ratty! And you in the pilot seat with a valid medical certificate in your pocket, come next July in Michigan!

And for next time: http://www.earthanchor.com/

With my condolences,

John
170C

Post by 170C »

Bruce--------sorry to hear of your airplane damage & the medical deal. Geeze! Sure glad it was a non flying event that resulted in the damage. Hope the insurance company will work with you on the settlement. As others have said, you can rebuild almost anything with time & $$$. Hang in there. Let's hope OKC gets off their duff and gets you that medical cert in a hurry. Then you can begin the rebuilding or hunting for a replacement. Please keep us in the loop as to what is going on with both situations. We are pulling for ya!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce, you remember (don't you?) that Kevin West has a personal contact in the Aeromedical branch in OKC?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Margot Flys

Post by Margot Flys »

Bruce,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. :(
I hope all works out for you in the near future!

Margot
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Finding the parts will be a challenge and hopefully the cabin isn't twisted, the top skin is easy to replace, been there and the rest. Sorry to hear of your misfortune and hope it works out Bruce.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
jatkins

Post by jatkins »

Hi Bruce,
2009 has not ben a very good year for me either. I am sorry to hear about your medical issue and damage
to your 170.

I hope your medical gets straightened out and you get flying again soon.

I got to think if your gear boxes are OK ?...,the insurance will repair your 170.

If not you can probably buy the salvage from them, and get it rebuilt yourself more cost effectively.

2009 and only has 27 days left ! :D

Best of luck and we will be thinking of you.

Cheers John
CF-HER
52 170B 20292
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Bruce,
Sorry to hear about your plane.
FYI, I doubt the carrythru is damaged. Normally what happens is the rear spar kinks about 16" outboard of the root, allowing the wing skin and flap to jam in to the fuselage. Look closely for wrinkles in the upper and lower skins in this area 16" outboard of the root at the rear spar.
This damage would not normally total this aircraft, depending on hull value and the bids you get in your area.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce, ... after Kevin helps you solve your medical issue, Del can probably take care of your airframe issue....whose excellent work...after-which...I have no idea how you're going to remain in the "rat pack". :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

Bruce,

Sorry to see your damaged plane!
The wind also howled like heck up here early Thursday.

Get the medical back and fly the cub while you fix the 170.

You have a good chance with the adjustor if you just show him how original the plane is, none of the quasi original stuff like baggage doors and extra landing lights. :)

SteveF
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

SteveF wrote:Bruce,

Sorry to see your damaged plane!
The wind also howled like heck up here early Thursday.

Get the medical back and fly the cub while you fix the 170.

You have a good chance with the adjustor if you just show him how original the plane is, none of the quasi original stuff like baggage doors and extra landing lights. :)

SteveF
I wonder if he'll get a better insurance settlement if he could convince them it's actually a highly-modified L-19 :!: :?: :P
Zreyn

Post by Zreyn »

So sorry to hear about your airplane & other problem with your medical,seems as if its never one thing at a time.
Do unto others............
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Sorry to hear of your problems Bruce. The wind sure did blow hard here that morning and we had a little late season thunder and lightning. If we can be of any help let us know as you are not too far away. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Bruce, I'm sorry to hear this news. Take your time and explore all options before deciding what to do about your airplane. That's far from the worst damage a 170 has suffered, and nothing has to be decided quickly. Hang in there on the medical thing, I'm sure there's a way open for you. Dave
Jimmy M.

Post by Jimmy M. »

Bruce.......hang in there and fix it................don't get discouraged......
it's not a big job....just a bunch of little jobs all in a row. :)
good luck
Jim Martin
'46 Aeronca Chief, 160 hp ( homebuilt )
'56 170 square tail, 180 hp. :)