Battery Box Maintenance

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Abe

Battery Box Maintenance

Post by Abe »

I couldn't agree with you more (I love Corrosion-X the trick is to clean with baking soda, (scrape if nessary) and paint with asid resident paint, then coat with corrosion-x) it just gives another barrier for the sulferic asid to penitrate!
Just got done doing some sprucing up of 04D and remembered an older post regarding this topic and was wanting to know if there is a particular brand of paint that some of you have had good luck with in painting your battery boxes...

I just installled a Concord RG-25 to assist in prolonging the life of my fragile battery box, but would also like to paint the inside of it also with the proper paint...the box had previously been painted with some sort of material, but in cleaning it with baking soda, allot of it came off...

Thanks a bunch...
Bill
'52 170B
Brad Brady

Re: Battery Box Maintenance

Post by Brad Brady »

Bill,
I don't know what paint you had in your box...But the only thing I use is Randolph 85269 (PN) 344 acid proof black paint. It isn't permanent but stays with the box as long as you keep the box acid free....Brad
cfzxo

Post by cfzxo »

Bill. I had my battery box powder coated, it worked great and the box is still looking good years later.

Cheers Bill CFZXO
Abe

Post by Abe »

Thanks Brad & Bill for the info...I'll probably go the paint route first and then the powder coat (that's a great idea :idea: ) when I have some down time in the future...

Thanks a bunch!!

Bill
Bill
'52 170B
HA

Post by HA »

if you've got some spare poly-urethane paint laying around (like Imron or similar) you can use that, it's pretty impervious to acid and the inside of the battery box doesn't care what color you use. otherwise the Randolph acid-proof paint is good, but will need to be renewed every now and then because it gets gouged off with the battery going in and out - it's kind of like tar really.
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane