Slip with full flaps in a B model

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Zreyn

Re: Slip with full flaps in a B model

Post by Zreyn »

Bruce,
You didn't ask me but I well tel you anyhow that I have made many three point landings in a DC3.I may be less sensitive than some,but I think that the only dif in any of these tail wheel AC is whether or not they are multi or single eng.I wont go down the list but asymmetrical thrust is the big day saving dif for me in the DC 3& beech 18.Again it comes down to what you said,do whatever it takes, brakes,ailerons,rudder,elevator,power & prayer to get that baby stopped without bending her or me! :)
Do unto others............
cmsusllc

Re: Slip with full flaps in a B model

Post by cmsusllc »

I hate to admit this but I agree totaly with George on wheel landings, crosswinds and the controlability. By maintaining power all the way to touchdown and maybe even further you can feel your way thru a crosswind and be in a position to go arround if you are running out of rudder. Also with power you can still do a wheel landing ( depending on load ) in the low 50 mph range, cut power, maintain level and use brakes . With a little practice you'll be suprised how much control you have. For a short field with the 50 foot tree I then three point and lift the tail as necessary for braking.
Scott.....53B