Flame rating for Seat recovering material

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

JMACFLY

Flame rating for Seat recovering material

Post by JMACFLY »

I found a shop for recover the front seats on my Volvo 240 wagon for a very good price. I'd like to get my C170 seats and side panels done by the same guy. What documentation would I need from the fabric supplier?
Did we have fire ratings for interior materials back in 1949 when my aircraft was built?
John
1949 C170A
TIC170A #4747
Eric Leclercq

Flame rating for Seat recovering

Post by Eric Leclercq »

Hi,
your aircraft was certified under CAR part 03 dec. 15, 1946.
At page 37 they say : " Only materials which are flash-resistant shall be used." I will spare you the rest... :)
Cheers
Eric
JMACFLY

seat recovering

Post by JMACFLY »

What do they mean by flash resistant.
I'd like to know what documentation I need to satisy the next annual inspection.
John
1949 C170A
TIC170A #4747
pauldpilot

flame testing fabric

Post by pauldpilot »

I believe you will find it in the Advisory Circulars. Because you are Car3, you don't have to comply with 25.853. I remember seeing it one time, but don't have it in front of me right now. I'll try to research it tomorrow.
pauldpilot
Eric Leclercq

seat recovering

Post by Eric Leclercq »

In my case I will have the info from a friend who had to do the same thing. Only problem, he will be back from vacation in a week... :? Hope you find the info before...
Eric
Eric Leclercq

seat recovering

Post by Eric Leclercq »

After asking my friend. I was told, aircraft material provider should be able to give you appropriate paperwork showing their product pass the relevant flame resistant test. He did not remember the exact paper form number. Perhap's you could get it through your local FAA rep. (If you need it). :roll:
Eric
JMACFLY

Post by JMACFLY »

Parts Coordinator George, What do the Feds say about material we use to recover our seats and side panels? Sure, the aircraft material suppliers will have the spec, but I didn't go to an aircraft upholster shop, I went to a "car" shop to save a buck. The guy gives me a blank look when I ask for documentation.
Thanks for your help,
John
1949 C170A
TIC170A #4747
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

From the FAA website: http://www.faa.gov/

"CAR-3 aircraft that are used for Part 91 operations with interiors where smoking is not permitted, the interior materials shall be flash-resistant. (ref. CAR-3, section 3.388) In CAR-3 aircraft interiors where smoking is permitted, the wall and ceiling linings, the covering of all upholstering, floors, and furnishings shall be flame-resistant. (ref. CAR-3, section 3.388)

When a mechanic buys material in bulk to refurbish the interior, seats, and ceiling liners for a CAR-3 aircraft used in Part 91 operations, a manufacturer's statement declaring that the material meets the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) or similar national standard for either flash resistance or flame resistance for the applicable installation would be acceptable. A manufacturer's statement is acceptable because neither the old Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) nor the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has published an FAA fire standard for either flash or flame resistance interior materials for CAR-3 aircraft. The FAA accepts and recognizes a national standard, so the mechanic who bought the fabric/material in bulk should reference the manufacturer's statement and the national standard that the fabric/material meets in the aircraft's maintenance records.

If no "standards" statement is made in the aircraft's logs then at the aircraft's next annual inspection the IA has a problem. He/she is looking at a new interior that may or may not meet CAR-3 requirements. In other words he/she may have an "unapproved interior" and the fabric might have the flame resistance of a box of matches. So if the IA can't chase down the mechanic who installed the interior and get the necessary "standards" statement in the logbook, then the only other alternative is to have a laboratory check and certify that the fabric meets the ASTM or any other nationally recognized flash or flame-resistant standard or do a burn test in accordance with Part 23, Appendix F."
Last edited by GAHorn on Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Thanks George.

Wish I would have had this info during my conformity
inspection....

Thanks George.

Wish I would have had this info during my conformity
inspection....

8^)

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP