F&M Oil filter adapter AND THREAD DRIFT-LOL

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Re: F&M Oil filter adapter

Post by cessna170bdriver »

lowNslow wrote:The money goes to the stock holders, and all the public traded car companies are traded on the U.S. stock exchanges.
And some to the guys 'n gals who made 'em. (2008 Honda Accord, 59K trouble-free miles in 20 months, made in Ohio; and a 1997 Saturn SL2, 369K miles, made in Tennessee.)
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

lowNslow wrote:The money goes to the stock holders, and all the public traded car companies are traded on the U.S. stock exchanges.
When was the last time you were able to own a Japanese company's stock? And the operating capital from sales does not go to the stockholders unless they receive dividends...and that comes from distributions..not exactly the same thing.

Buy American, (and that means American company products.) As long as folks are willing to believe the marketing that says it "makes no difference".... then their money will make no beneficial difference to fellow Americans.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

gahorn wrote:
When was the last time you were able to own a Japanese company's stock? And the operating capital from sales does not go to the stockholders unless they receive dividends...and that comes from distributions..not exactly the same thing.
Toyota (symbol TM on the NYSE) Honda (HMC also NYSE) by definition if you own the stock you are an owner of the company and you profit from the rise in stock value as well as dividends (assuming they are profitable). Many Americans own many foreign stocks in mutual funds and probably don't even realize it.
gahorn wrote:Buy American, (and that means American company products.) As long as folks are willing to believe the marketing that says it "makes no difference".... then their money will make no beneficial difference to fellow Americans.
Toyota now employees more American employees than Ford in the U.S. I have no problem giving them my business. Didn't mean to get you all riled up George but things just aren't that clear cut anymore in a globalized economy.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Hey George,
My Toyota truck was built by some of your cousins in San Antonio, TX. Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

170C wrote:GAH, you bought a Chrysler product :?: :lol: :lol:
Frank,

You didn't start a thread DRIFT, that was just a plain ole' RICOCHET! :lol: I had to go back and see how we got from oil filter adapters to foreign vs. domestic economies. :o
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
170C wrote:GAH, you bought a Chrysler product :?: :lol: :lol:
Frank,

You didn't start a thread DRIFT, that was just a plain ole' RICOCHET! :lol: I had to go back and see how we got from oil filter adapters to foreign vs. domestic economies. :o
Is that oil filter adapter American made?? :?
Karl
ASW-20BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I"m not all riled up... I'm just keeping this thread diverted! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The NYSE symols are for the US Marketing arm of the mfr'r... not the actual Japanese company. :wink: The real profits of those foreign car companies help Japan...not the average American (other than assy-line workers themselves.)

Need proof? Check out the Trade-Balance.
lowNslow wrote:[...
Toyota now employees more American employees than Ford in the U.S. I have no problem giving them my business. Didn't mean to get you all riled up George but things just aren't that clear cut anymore in a globalized economy.
This is because consumers are not buying American!
Thank you for proving my point.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

gahorn wrote: The NYSE symols are for the US Marketing arm of the mfr'r... not the actual Japanese company. :wink: Need proof? Check out the Trade-Balance.
Incorrect. One share of US traded TM stock is equal to two shares of Toyota Japan. Look at the market cap of TM stock. Honda is also the same. As far as trade balance, we were discussing the auto business, I have no argument that we have a problem with our trade imbalance. In the case of autos however, certain companies have set up manufacturing in the US, thus US jobs, you don't see China doing this.
Karl
ASW-20BL
CAVU Mark

Post by CAVU Mark »

I had the local FBO install the FM adapter on my 1948 170A. My partner last changed the oil and it appears the adapter twisted slightly so that the oil filter now contacts the battery box. I am unable to squeeze a sheet of paper between the box and the filter. Has this happened to anyone else? I realize the adapter needs to be clocked just so in order to prevent this and my guess is that the combination of crush gasket and fiber washer make this happen. Correct? The FBO has the instructions for the adapter so I need to get down there to confirm. Any comments? Thank you.
Mark
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The adapator can indeed be twisted by hand to a new position which removes the necessary clearance called for in the installation instructions. (Depending upon which version instructions received, 1/2 to one-inch clearance from adjacent objects.)
The adapator should be torqued to specs and then safety-wired, and anyone making future filter replacements should be careful to twist the filter only...being careful not to move the adaptor.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Mark,

You can clock the filter any way you want it and the only reason it stays there is friction between the mating surfaces including the seals. It is fairly easy to move if your not careful.

What I'd do is grab a hold of it and carefully reclock it just enough so it doesn't hit the battery box. Run it and checl for leaks. They might not show up right away. Be prepared to retorque the adapter and if necessary replace the crush gaskets.

You need a 1" square socked which are not readily available to proberly install the adapter. There really isn't much to the installation. Assemble it with the crush washers (they now have an improved seal as well), position it (clock it) and tighten to 65lbs.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:...You need a 1" square socked which are not readily available to proberly install the adapter.....
Mark, I have one of the required 1"-square sockets which was highly over-priced for something that was probably made in a scab welding-shop operation, looks chineese and is the wrong shade of red and has not been tested, but you are welcome to try it if you like. Just pay the postage your way, and if it works, send it back, if it doesn't we can sue the mfr'r (who socked it to me.) :twisted:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I guess I should have been more specific and said these 1" square sockets aren't available everywhere but they can be found shouldn't I. :lol:

And I can personally guarantee those special sockets worked on all the 1" square nuts they were tested on. Can you guarantee your nut is 1" square is the question?

And for being red well there were two colors made. The green versions were snapped up quickly as expected and indicitive of their color. The red one true to form for that color sold a lot slower. :)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
CAVU Mark

Post by CAVU Mark »

Thank you for your input. I suspected something along those lines but like to have as much data before the operation as possible. I inquired with F&M 2x but no response. Maybe he is on vacation. RE: 1 inch nut... I have available a number of talented people, machinists (they call themselves toolmakers) and fabricators at a local Museum where I volunteer so maybe I can fab one for myself. One machinist made a couple of finger grabs for the seats for me, they are identical to the plastic jobbies.
Mark
KG

Post by KG »

After fighting to stop my F&M oil filter adapter from springing leaks every time someone touched it, I've decided the best way to stop the #$% thing from leaking is to take it off the engine, clean all oil residue from it, and place it in a sealed plastic bag on a shelf.

As I proceed with my engine overhaul, I will not be reinstalling the F&M oil filter adapter. I thought it was a great idea when I first saw it but it has been more trouble than it is worth.

Regarding the 1" square socket, there is a gentleman at my airport, Mr. Spivey, who went to machinist school with my Dad in 1951. They remained friends from then until my Dad's death earlier this year. When these guys went to machinist school in the old days, they learned to make what they needed. As soon as Mr. Spivey heard that I needed one, he made a socket for me.

I'm trying to decide what to use to replace the F&M system (aka "ole leaky"). I'll start a new thread looking for suggestions.

Keith
53 170B