Battery Solenoid

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

william halford

Battery Solenoid

Post by william halford »

I am looking for a battery solinoid Cessna part number 0411021-2 or part number 0712603-2 for my 170-A. Can anyone help.

Thanks,

Bill
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

Hi Bill, I can help you out on this since I had mine go bad six months ago.

Without looking at my parts book at the hangar, both of those numbers refer to the original four post solenoid, which has a jumper wire between the two small posts. Several calls, including to Cessna yielded a price of 300 to 400 dollars, yikes! I tracked down a non-aviation source (it's the same Cutler-Hammer relay used in RVs for the generator), which brought it down to about 150 or so, still outrageous! I posted this very same question on the boards here and found out that the more modern, sealed unit solenoid used in later model Cessnas is the way to go, for around thirty big ones, a MAJOR improvement, and a legal substitute as well. Plus it only has three posts; it is internally connected so no need for the jumper wire.

I got mine from Aircraft Spruce for 16.95. The part number is 111-226
(battery solenoid.) It's physically smaller than the original but the mounting bracket is exactly the same. No modifications are required. You can get the same thing from Cessna, but it will cost more. Sacremento Sky Ranch has them for around 25 dollars. It has worked flawlessly.

There, I just saved you 300 dollars. Feel free to make a contribution to my retirement fund!

See you, Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

Bill, do a search on the forum here for solenoid...you'll find lots of good info! Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
william halford

:lol: :lol: RUSS YOU SURE HELPED US OUT ON THIS ONE, I DO THANK YOU FOR THE INFO.. DO YOU KNOW IF ANYONE HAS EVER GOT A FIELD APPROVAL TO USE ANY OTHER TYPE OF BATTERY RELAY :?:
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

According to my A & P, a field approval to use the more modern Cessna relay is not required, although he was not exactly sure why...hmmmm. What say you, Tom Downey and George Horn? Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The newer style relay is designated by Cessna as a "superceded" part number. It is a factory approved substitute, as long as it is marked "FAA-PMA".
william halford

George,I do appreciate the info, but where do you find these FAA-PMA parts for these older aircraft. I have talked to 4 different a/c parts company and they will sell you a generic part. But the bat solinoid. along with the starter solinoid will not be a FAA-PMA part. In talking to Cessna they said those parts came from Delco and they were not considered a aircraft parts. There suggestion (off the record) take the part and match it up where ever. One company offered to take our part and match it up with a approved part. It may not be the p/n for the a/c but it would be a FAA/PMA part.. 170mb

etc::: My suggestion is anytime you put a non FAA/PMA part on your aircraft be sure to keep your I/A informed.. :D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The part I ordered to hold as a spare came from Spruce, was made by Prestolite (I was told) and is stamped on it's upper bracket surface "FAA-PMA".
Tom Downey

Post by Tom Downey »

gahorn wrote:

The part I ordered to hold as a spare came from Spruce, was made by Prestolite

Thats fine,, did it have a 8030-3 tag on it, because if your IA is doing their job they will want to see it.

(I was told) and is stamped on it's upper bracket surface "FAA-PMA".
I would suggest every one read FAR 43.401,3,5,7, and 409, think who is going to make the entry and by what authority they use to return to service.
then read FAR
§43.13 Performance rules (general).

(a) Each person performing maintenance, alteration, or preventive maintenance on an aircraft, engine, propeller, or appliance shall use the methods, techniques, and practices prescribed in the current manufacturer's maintenance manual or Instructions for Continued Airworthiness prepared by its manufacturer, or other methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator, except as noted in §43.16. He shall use the tools, equipment, and test apparatus necessary to assure completion of the work in accordance with accepted industry practices. If special equipment or test apparatus is recommended by the manufacturer involved, he must use that equipment or apparatus or its equivalent acceptable to the Administrator.

(b) Each person maintaining or altering, or performing preventive maintenance, shall do that work in such a manner and use materials of such a quality, that the condition of the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance worked on will be at least equal to its original or properly altered condition (with regard to aerodynamic function, structural strength, resistance to vibration and deterioration, and other qualities affecting airworthiness).

Knowing this; before you ask your A&P to sign off, be able to show the proper trail of part numbers and manufacturers authorization.

otherwise the your are asking them to throw their ticket away, when they get caught.
Tom Downey A&P-IA
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Aircraft Spruce, on new parts, will supply "traceability" upon request. In some cases the "8130-3" is nothing more than a small self-adhesive sticker, but it contains the necessary info to trace the part back to it originator. Spruce is very good about stating whether a part may be used on certified aircraft or not, whether it is STC'd, etc. or otherwise.
The Master relay solenoid they sell under pn 111-226 for $16.95 is represented to be applicable to production aircraft. If your AP needs documentation then request it when you order the part.

(Just to keep a discussion going,....When was the last time you got an 8130-3 with a tire or tube you received? I'll bet you installed it anyway.) :wink:
Tom Downey

Post by Tom Downey »

(Just to keep a discussion going,....When was the last time you got an 8130-3 with a tire or tube you received? I'll bet you installed it anyway.)

Tracability is available on most every thing, even tires.

But if the 6:00X6 tires were not available any more would you put 8:00X6 on with no paper work?

BTW what is the tire part number for the 170?
Tom Downey A&P-IA
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Cessna PN 0441016-12, Tire, 6:00 X 6 4-Ply.
The 8:00 X 6 tire is approved on the TCDS. It would still require a logbook entry and a wt/bal change.
Tom Downey

Post by Tom Downey »

Like I have said know where to get the info,,, don't ask any one to sign your log with out the proper paper trail..
Tom Downey A&P-IA
william halford

I have found some info that that I think will fix this relay problem once and for all. CESSNA S/B 65-89 allows the cessna owners to put the $21.90 contactors on there aircraft. 8) 8) 8)

(For what it is worth every part I get from aircraft spruce has a CERT at the bottom of the invoice)

I also would like to say this is one site I highly recommend,due to so many different Owners, A/P, I/A opinion. For that, I thank you ..170MB
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Good viewpoint, William, but you forgot to mention we also have OP's here also. (Opinionated Kooks) :lol:
I hope you also mention that after they've visited here a few weeks and like what they see, to JOIN us all here at the TIC170A, even if they don't own a 170! (We have lots of members who own other types and many more that don't own airplanes of their own at all,...they just like airplanes, maintenance issues, yet don't care for someone else always picking up the tab.
The TIC170A Conventions are also great meeting places, and anyone even the least bit interested in a 170 should make the next one at Tehachipi, Ca. (Contact Miles Bowen, or Velvet at the home page.)