'cessna' and '170' image in paint layout

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

oz502man

'cessna' and '170' image in paint layout

Post by oz502man »

HVS is getting a paint job this coming winter. I am going to paint her in the original '51 layout with an ivory base colour and red stripes. I need some help with the details.

1.Can anybody tell me if on the '51, the word 'cessna' is painted on the front of the cowl below the prop as I have seen on other models. If so, would anyone be willing to take a close up photo of this graphic with a ruler held up adjacent to it for scaling. Ideally a ruler in both the horizontal and vertical plane would be nice (this could be in the form of two photo's - one with ruler horizontal, one vertical).

2. Is "170" painted on the sides between the stripes. If so, where along the side is it in reference to the door or cowl ? Again would someone be willing to take some pictures with a ruler for scale.

The pictures could be emailed to me or better yet, posted on the forum. Come to think of it a picture with the overall dimensions noted would do. I have access to some fancy drawing software and a vinyl printer/cutter. I can squre up and dimension the pictures to overcome any distortion due to perspective and will then trace the outline of the text and use this cut a paint mask. I will happily post the finished outlines in a format that can be taken to a signwriter so that anyone undertaking this task in the future will be easily able to get paint masks cut. If anyone would like any other details done this way - eg the wing thing symbol, send or post a picture with dimensions and I will happily post a useable outline for it.

Thanks in advance

Noel Casey
caseyaviation 'at' gmail.com
Work : AT502B
Play : '51C170A
GAHorn

Re: 'cessna' and '170' image in paint layout

Post by GAHorn »

These are the only photos I have of an original 1951 A-model. Hope it helps.
1951-A model Click image to ENLARGE..click again to FURTHER ENLARGE
1951-A model Click image to ENLARGE..click again to FURTHER ENLARGE
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

This drawing is for the 1953 model, but the font of the door stencil looks a lot like the "170" on the boot cowl in the picture George posted.
cessna_170_logo.jpg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
oz502man

Post by oz502man »

George,

Thanks for the picture. You have no idea how many times I have looked at that picture before and never noticed those details. When I first saw you had posted that picture I thought 'yeah I've seen that before- doesn't show much :oops: It just goes to show that sometimes the answer is staring at you :lol:

Cessna170bdriver,

Thank you so much - that is perfect. I will digitise both of those and post the results.

Is the wing thing symbol with cessna below it identical on the left and right side of the fin or is there an opposite image for the left side so that the bird doesn't have the wind up it's tail?
Work : AT502B
Play : '51C170A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

That "wing thing" .. is a Cessna trademark and is called a "bird". I have seen it both ways, but not by Cessna. Usually when it's "streamlined" it's been done via artwork by some paintshop or owner.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

oz

I can't recall if Miles sent that file to me directly but I have it in JPeg from some source. I'd taken the time to open it in PhotoShop and remove the background as the first stage of creating an outline of it for vector art as well as simple art. But like many little projects I got stalled and didn't complete it but a lot of hard work is done. If you can use the PSD file or even the original PDF, email me and I'll send it your way.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

Miles do you have the actual print or just digital. It says on the print it is a scale print but of course once electronic that means nothing. The print doesn't actually have a scale on it. We need to find the actual print and measure something on it so any electronic versions can be reproduce at the correct size.

cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Bruce,

Someone on this forum emailed a jpeg of that drawing to me when I started doing my interior. I've received stuff from several folks, and I'm sorry don't remember who it was. Hopefully he will speak up. From the scale of the title block and the proportions of the drawing, it looks like a C-size engineering drawing, which is 17" x 22". You could however, scale the stencils to whatever size it is that you need, depending on where you want to put them.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I have two stencils for the "170" on the door or fuselage:

Here is the script in pdf:
One Seventy Stencil.pdf
(239.45 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
Here is the script in jpeg:
One Seventy Stencil.JPG
Here's the one with numerals for the door:
170 Door Stencil.jpg
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

oz502man wrote:George,

Thanks for the picture. You have no idea how many times I have looked at that picture before and never noticed those details. When I first saw you had posted that picture I thought 'yeah I've seen that before- doesn't show much :oops: It just goes to show that sometimes the answer is staring at you :lol:

Cessna170bdriver,

Thank you so much - that is perfect. I will digitise both of those and post the results.

Is the wing thing symbol with cessna below it identical on the left and right side of the fin or is there an opposite image for the left side so that the bird doesn't have the wind up it's tail?
While doing the research on restoring my 1952 B, the pictures in the owners manual showed the Cessna bird was NOT reversed on the left side.

Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

russfarris wrote:While doing the research on restoring my 1952 B, the pictures in the owners manual showed the Cessna bird was NOT reversed on the left side.

Russ Farris
Russ, I'm confused. It looks like the the "bird" is flying forward in picture of the left side the vertical on your plane on page 16 of the August 2003 issure of "Vintage Aircraft". Perhaps Cessna changed how they painted this between doing the plane in the owners manual and when they painted yours.
Gary
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I think Russ is correct. Cessna only had one stencil for the tail logo.

I took these pictures of Paul Wood's 170B in 2008 (Hey Paul, get that thing finished and let's go flying!!!!) just to document an original paint scheme. The FAA database shows it to be a 1953.

If anyone wants full-res copies of these pictures, PM me with your email address. They are about 3MB each.
IMG_8418_1.JPG
IMG_8421_1.JPG
IMG_8419_1.JPG
IMG_8420_1.JPG
IMG_8466_1.JPG
Last edited by hilltop170 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

More pictures of Paul Wood's plane.
IMG_8407_1.JPG
IMG_8408_1.JPG
IMG_8409_1.JPG
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Bruce Fenstermacher

That's the first time I've actually seen evidence Paul actually has a plane he claims to have. That must be the really cool aluminum over aluminum paint scheme which actually fits very well in the Rat Plane Category and I've heard can be as fast a Green. Of course you got to get it out of the hanger or being fast isn't worth much.

Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Paul Wood has an airplane? I thought he only had bikes! :lol:

Sorry Paul - I should not have done that but couldn't resist. Keep at it!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005