Convention flight

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

edbooth

Convention flight

Post by edbooth »

Hi all, I do not post on this site very much, but do read from time to time. Just wanted to let everyone know that I am giving up the speed and ease of flying (autopilot) in the RV-7 , and actually flying the 170 to SD. This will be the old birds first flight to a convention since Dearborn. I have been out trying to re-educate myself in the 170 (even though we have owned it for 41 years, have not put much time on it in the last five). If you happen to look back at the old pictures at Lakeland, FL (the first one in 1978) you will see N3225A in the same paint scheme that it is today. This trip will be a Deja vu, in that we made this same trip to SD 25 years ago (1987) and will be following almost the same route. Mary and I celebrated our 25 wedding anniversary at Tom and Lynn Benedicts that year....And this year will be.....The big 50 ! Damn where did those years go ? We have been going to the 170 conventions for half our life and have met many wonderful people and made life long friends that have turned into a huge extended family. Hope to see many of you again in SD.
Attachments
DSC01981.JPG
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
cessna170bdriver

Re: Convention flight

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Math isn't one of your strong points, is it Ed? :lol: 2011-1987=24. I wouldn't have noticed, but Amanda was born right around the last San Diego convention, and she turns 24 next month...
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Miles, I'm sticking with Ed's math. It makes the story better and no denying it Miles, your daughter IS close to 25 years old now. :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Well guys, it's been so many years that it's close enough. I know for a fact that our 50th with be July 16th. Mary will confirm that.

Ed
Bruce Fenstermacher

edbooth wrote:Well guys, it's been so many years that it's close enough. I know for a fact that our 50th with be July 16th. Mary will confirm that.

Ed
Ed what ever you do you BETTER have that date right. :lol:

edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Maybe I better go back and check one of the old wedding invitations.... :?
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:... no denying it Miles, your daughter IS close to 25 years old now. :D
Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. :lol: It was only 25 years ago this past Tuesday that I married her mother...
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Miles

See there you go....depends on when you start life........ if you start at conception, well...maybe better not go there eh :lol: :lol: :lol:

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
170C

Post by 170C »

Eddie, what are you doing, trying for the long distance award :lol: How many hours are you estimating? I won't even approach what the fuel costs may be :evil: Maybe, if we get really lucky, the fuel prices will level out or maybe ( :roll: ) moderate a bit by July-----sure hope so :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

170C wrote:Eddie, what are you doing, trying for the long distance award :lol: How many hours are you estimating? I won't even approach what the fuel costs may be :evil: Maybe, if we get really lucky, the fuel prices will level out or maybe ( :roll: ) moderate a bit by July-----sure hope so :mrgreen:
Hi Frank, Well the route we are following will be around 2200 miles, so figuring about 40 hours. Who know what the fuel price will be by then. I figure this may be one of the last really long trips we will do in the 170......thats how I rationalize the trip anyway. See ya in a couple months.

Later, Ed
Bruce Fenstermacher

Ed this might be the last really long flight in the 170, at least until you plane the next really long flight in the 170. :lol:

BTW not to take anything away from Ed, but I've heard that Jim and Loli Wildhharber are planning to fly their plane to the convention from Georgia. Guess Jim figures he can't win another trophy with the plane back in Georgia. 8O

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

edbooth wrote:[...
Hi Frank, Well the route we are following will be around 2200 miles, so figuring about 40 hours. Who know what the fuel price will be by then. I figure this may be one of the last really long trips we will do in the 170......thats how I rationalize the trip anyway. See ya in a couple months.

Later, Ed
It's gonna cost about $1/per mile. That's what it costs to run a Cessna 170.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

Ed,

Bruce is correct ! Lolly and I are planning on flying N3415D to the convention. :D :D :D There is even a rumor that Scott and Ann Barland will fly their totally restored 1953 B model to the convention from Georgia 8) . Their plane is beautiful 8O .

If all goes well, we all might meet up at the Artesia, NM "A Whoop Tee Do" stop over hosted by Stephen Brinderio and the Benedict's on July 8th. 8) Now if Bruce and Teresa feel adventurous and up to it for the "Long Distance" award they could try flying from eastern PA :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Using George's depressing figure of $1 a mile it would cost me $4082 before hotels and food. Actually about $2000 in gas at $6 a gallon. Still John Hess and I considered flying out in his airplane for a brief moment. But when the convention week didn't fall right in my work schedule to get enough time off to do it, I bought airline tickets.

edbooth

Post by edbooth »

gahorn wrote:
edbooth wrote:[...

Later, Ed
It's gonna cost about $1/per mile. That's what it costs to run a Cessna 170.
George, could you break down the items involved in that 1.00 a mile? Maybe I could eliminate something .....