Recording tach woes.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Glenn

Recording tach woes.

Post by Glenn »

We replaced our tach at annual with a new Mitchell because the hour meter in the old tach quit working. The old tach worked perfectly other than the hours quit rolling by. After a few hours of flawless operation, the hour meter on our new tach quit working Thursday. Now (before I go and start swapping cables, hammering on stuff, and chewing out Mitchell) is there anything else I may be overlooking?
I must like the classics. All of my vehicles are older than I am.

Looking for a 1/3 partner in my '48 170. PM for details
GAHorn

Re: Recording tach woes.

Post by GAHorn »

It's unfortunate ... but even new and otherwise excellent equipment sometimes fail. Mitchell should warranty your new tachometer if it's still within the warranty period. (If it's indicating RPM...the hour-meter is the failed part.... not your cable or airplane.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Just seems strange that both tachs failed in the same fashion. I guess I'll call Mitchell. I don't mind so much but I hate not being able to fly the plane while I wait on another tach with the proper hours set on it.

sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

I don't believe that the recording hourmeter part of the tach is required equipment.......
My airplane didn't even have a recording tach when it was new.
No reason not to fly it, unless your desire to have the hourmeter accurately indicate total time is greater than your desire to fly :wink:
Ragwing S/N 18073
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

sfarringer wrote:I don't believe that the recording hourmeter part of the tach is required equipment.......
No reason not to fly it, unless your desire to have the hourmeter accurately indicate total time is greater than your desire to fly :wink:
We flew it with the old tach broken and tracked our hours dilligently. I orderd the new tach with the hours set SMOH. I waited till the plane was down for annual to order the new tach so the hours would be 100% correct. It's not that I can't fly it...it's that I won't fly it while the hours are being set on, yet another, new tach. I'll continue to fly it until I order another tach. When I order the new one, the plane will sit until it's installed. Hoopefully I can expidite this replacement and it won't take two-three weeks again.

KG

Post by KG »

For what it's worth, I recently had a Mitchell tach installed in my airplane. After sitting overnight, the glass on the front cracked. I called Mitchell and they were very helpful and immediately sent a new glass with installation instructions to my mechanic. It was repaired in less than two days.

Keith
53 170B
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Glenn wrote:
sfarringer wrote:I don't believe that the recording hourmeter part of the tach is required equipment.......
We flew it with the old tach broken and tracked our hours dilligently. I orderd the new tach with the hours set SMOH. I waited till the plane was down for annual to order the new tach so the hours would be 100% correct. It's not that I can't fly it...it's that I won't fly it while the hours are being set on, yet another, new tach. I'll continue to fly it until I order another tach. When I order the new one, the plane will sit until it's installed. Hoopefully I can expidite this replacement and it won't take two-three weeks again.
Have Mitchell set the hours where you want them, keep flying, if your over when the new tach gets there you can adjust it with a drill motor to match your actual time.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

wingnut wrote:Have Mitchell set the hours where you want them, keep flying, if your over when the new tach gets there you can adjust it with a drill motor to match your actual time.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

My suggestion was to estimate the amount of time you might fly between the time you order your new tach and the day you can install the replacement.

BTW: If you are flying a Part 91 airplane, there is no harm in having a tach not exactly in step with actual time.

In fact,... no recording tachometer is 100% accurate anyway since it is calibrated at an RPM different than most operators power-settings. (if you'll pardon the mild poke-in-the-eye, understanding I'm only ribbing you...)
... This is another example of someone measuring something with a micrometer, then marking it with a grease-pencil, then cutting it with a hatchet.

Will your airplane fall out of the sky if the oil change (engine overhaul, etc.) is 2 hours earlier or later than scheduled?
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I try to be as anal as my personality will let me when it comes to the plane. I do, however, have a hatchet and I'm not afraid to used it! :twisted:

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Glenn wrote:I try to be as anal as my personality will let me when it comes to the plane. I do, however, have a hatchet and I'm not afraid to used it! :twisted:
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: Touche'

(BTW, I can be found Imageat Zwolle, LA near Lake Toledo Bend, Image and am tall, skinny, ugly, Image and usually un-armed Imagebut have a miserable cur for a nasty-tempered dog...unless you have a piece of bone she can chew on and then you'll be her BEST FRIEND....Image you can do whatever you wish with the master.) :twisted:

If you find me...don't tell my wife because she has a long list of chores and she's out looking for me.Image