Quartz Chronometer

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Quartz Chronometer

Post by 170C »

Back in '91 I purchased an Astro Tech LC-2 from Marv Golden for $90, installed it in Ole Pokey and have had good service up until the past 6 mo's or so. Seems like every time the plane is allowed to sit in the sun the chronometer craps out. Its not the battery. Some widget in the circuitry must be going out. Astro Tech no longer supports (repairs) their products, or so the distributor I found on the internet advised. They suggested I take it to an avionics repair center somewhere and have them ck it out. Well I have to wonder if a 12 yr old, $90 unit is worth what it would likely cost to have it ck's out at an avionics shop and I am wondering if any of you folks out there might have a suggestion where I might get it ck'd out/repaired @ some reasonable price. A new unit identical to this one runs about $150+. I gotta fill that hole in the instrument panel w/ something. Thought about one of the units I have seen advertised for around $50 that probably does everthing the Astro Tech does, but appears to be more of the quality of a Wal Mart digital wristwatch (which might be OK). Will appreciate your input.

Ole Pokey
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Aircraft Spruce 877/477-7823 advertises the LC-2 Astrotech Quartz Chronometer (PN 10-15508 for aircraft pwr operation, PN 10-15501 for internal battery operation) for $113.50. It's hard to beat the plain old clock (quartz electric) for $78.50. (PN 10-22812)
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Frank
I've had a couple of cell phones and cheap Wal-Mart watches exhibit the same symptoms when left in a hot car. My theory is that LCDs are allergic to temps over 115 or so. Keep in mind that the definition of electronic is:
A. It can't be fixed ,or B. If it can be fixed repair costs will exceed the value of the device.
JDH

Post by JDH »

Here's a thought: If what you are looking for is a reliable time piece with the possibility to use as chronograph, with a backlight, etc. You can consider this: Fill the whole with a blank piece of aluminum; go to Wallmart and buy a Timex Triathlon (wait, don't laugh till you see this one) Chronometer/stopwatch, place opposing velcro on back of watch and plate and voilà! It has has Indiglo, night mode, stop watch, etc. It works good for rate one turns, is removeable and you can also put another piece of velcro on your control wheel to move it there for timed turns, etc.
Just a thought and just $40. Cdn!! JD
jon s blocker

Lc-2

Post by jon s blocker »

I just bought an LC-2 from Chief Aircraft for $75. It is powered by the aircraft battery rather than AAA batteries. They also have the AAA battery powered one for just about the same price. Keep Chief in mind, although they don't have as many items as Spruce, some of their prices are better.
Good luck,
Jon
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

For the same hundred bucks you might consider a windshield cover. Years ago I cooked the Loran in my 195 by leaving it on the ramp in San Diego for a weekend. After that expensive repair I've used Kennen satin lined windshield covers every time I park the plane where it can get hot.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
170C

Aircraft Clock

Post by 170C »

I appreciate the many suggestions. Had forgotten to ck Chief also. Regarding the windshield cover, I have one, but even in flight the unit will malfunction in summer heat.

Ole Pokey