The 180 hp mod and its progress

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

The 180 hp mod and its progress

Post by ghostflyer »

Since the 180hp lycoming clone [Superior engine] was fitted , some testing couldnt be done due to engine break in and some extra instruments that had to be fitted . We fitted a E.I. fuel flow indicator which proved to be the best thing since Christmas. So airframe preformance and engine proformance could be measured a EGT gauge and CHT gauge was fitted[only single point] but fitted to different cylinders,plus a garmin GPS Aera 500 was also used . So with the engine now having 28 hours and oil consumption down to what was expected and full fuel tanks and 2 persons it was off into the blue yonder. At 4500ft with a air temp of 10degs C the throttle was reduced until airspeed reached 100 kts. The airspeed was allowed to stabilized and the observations were noted. The engine was spinning at 2100 RPM and consuming 27 litres a hour with a EGT at 1340 degs. The CHT was 355deg. The prop pitch [fixed pitch] is 60 ins. We leaned it some more but the EGT didnt move but airspeed did decay some 4 kts but now using 24 liters a hour. These speeds are the same we got with the Continental O-300 before we had a play with it. The Continental had to spin at 2450rpm to get 105 kts and use 38 liters a hour. So why the difference? We all look at the HP of a engine and not much talk of the torque of the engine. So the 4 banger with a extra 60 cubic ins of capacity may have a little more torque . I was very unnerved about spinning a 60in pitch prop when we were putting it together but that has proven to be totally unfounded.. The bottom cowl was totally "repaired" and it has a flatter shape underneath with a smaller outlet. So the drag may have been reduced. A different nose bowl with different intakes was with the STC kit also. The oil temp only got to 167degs on this test and I was a little concerned at its low reading. However as I have stated in other posts the aircraft interior was cleaned out [junk removed] and control surfaces rigging checked /adjusted as per Mr Cessna . It flys better but when at 2500 rpm the controls are very sensitive and you have to be on top of it at all times with the C of G very forward.
ghostflyer

Re: The 180 hp mod and its progress

Post by ghostflyer »

This mod[stc] has worked out better than I expected. Very happy with the performance and getting to know how to work the fuel computer [EI] has really cut consumption down big time . While flying along the outer day at 8500ft in total clear air [could see for miles and miles] ,i was looking around admiring the view and I had my own vapour trail. It was coming out of the trailing edge of the l/h wing. Its not water. a quick check on the gauges made me realize ,I had a fuel leak. The left hand tank wasnt down that much but I still had 2.3 hours before home and only one strip on the way. I imediately changed over to the left tank to run it dry . I got a little over a hour out of that tank before changing over to the r/h tank.
On removal of the tank it is found to be cracked along the weld seam. the metal seems to be age hardened. this cracking was very spider web looking. No tanks here in OZ[aust] and Cessna wants unbelievable money for a new tank. I shall design my own tank and get a STC from CASA .
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Email some of the junk yards here in the states. I suspect that certain C-172 tanks should be interchangable. Wait, maybe you have an early model airplane that I had not thought of.
I envy you that your authorities that would allow that uncertified engine to be installed in a certified airplane. That would get you capital punishment from our friendly helpers.
BL
170C

Post by 170C »

Dick (BL) is correct that some early models of C-172 tanks will interchange with a lot of C-170's. Most likely the A & B models only. Not sure, without checking, exactly when the 172's went to electric gauges, but I think it was in 1959. Our directory only lists one Australian in Queensland and there is no aircraft shown with that members name. As always it would be good to mention the specific model & serial # of a plane when looking for parts. George, Bruce or others can speak to specifics on fuel tanks in 170's. (Sure would be nice if forum users profiles included names, addresses or at least cities) :)
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

The engine has a type certificate but superior parts are all PMAed . So basically we have a Lycoming data plate and overhaul the engine with 100% new parts. Our standards are the same as the FAA but done differently. The engine replacement was done on a STC [FAA] . The new tank has a Engineering Order to make it legal but I am looking at making it a STC, even recognized by the FAA. Its all about costs. I have looked at some wreckers for fuel tanks in the USA but the tanks are over 63 years old and have problems of their own. Acorn exhausts make tanks for cessna 170,s but the cost of freight is more than the tank. I have looked at all the forms to be filled out for the STC [Casa and FAA] and it will take more time and money than to build the tank.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

blueldr wrote:I envy you that your authorities that would allow that uncertified engine to be installed in a certified airplane.
Amen.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:The engine has a type certificate but superior parts are all PMAed . So basically we have a Lycoming data plate and overhaul the engine with 100% new parts. Our standards are the same as the FAA but done differently. The engine replacement was done on a STC [FAA] . The new tank has a Engineering Order to make it legal but I am looking at making it a STC, even recognized by the FAA. Its all about costs. I have looked at some wreckers for fuel tanks in the USA but the tanks are over 63 years old and have problems of their own. Acorn exhausts make tanks for cessna 170,s but the cost of freight is more than the tank. I have looked at all the forms to be filled out for the STC [Casa and FAA] and it will take more time and money than to build the tank.
bagarre wrote:
blueldr wrote:I envy you that your authorities that would allow that uncertified engine to be installed in a certified airplane.
Amen.
In other words, Guys.... (if I'm reading him correctly,... He has a certificated engine...not a "clone".)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

By golly, those Aussies are a cagey bunch. I'll bet that building a Lycoming engine from a data plate using all PMAd parts by Superior really pisses Lycoming off.
BL
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

You are dead right about Lycoming being very "unco-operative". We had a brand new engine from Lycoming fitted to a Super Decathlon and it had a problem from the word go where is was pumping oil down into the injector unit on shutdown. It was a known problem to Lycoming but the lack of support to my client because of my involvement with Superior engines was totally childish and BS. The matter was resolved but they screwed us around for a while . Its better to put a brand new engine to replace a engine out of hours regardless of who made it . Some of the cylinder assemblies and casings have had many lives. Log books are not always filled out with the exact information.
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

If you have a expert aluminum welder in the area the tank can be rewelded or a patch welded in if it is a large area of cracks. Might be faster and or cheaper than shipping from the states.