Cowling installation, and fuel line routing

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

IdahoPilot

Cowling installation, and fuel line routing

Post by IdahoPilot »

Installed cowling today to find fit over the new Knisely Exhaust tailpipes. Couple problems I ran into. The tailpipes won't line up through the factory holes in the cowling. Holes seem to be in farther and back a little. Don't know if we should just open the holes up more or what?

Second, I removed the bracket air filter in order to get the cowl lined up and installed. Now, not sure how to get it fit back on there.

Third and final, Does anyone with the fuel pump installed have any pictures or info on how the fuel lines are routed to the pump and back. Thanks a ton!
Last edited by IdahoPilot on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Nimer
1948 Cessna 170 Ragwing.
sfarringer

Re: Ragwing cowling installation, and fuel line routing

Post by sfarringer »

When I bought a complete exhaust system from Aerospace Welding to replace my old pancake mufflers, I also had fit problems with the tailpipes exiting the cowling.

We modified the pipes to fit the cowling outlet locations, rather than open up the holes to fit the pipes. We cut the pipes, adjusted the angles of the cut ends as required to fit, and welded them back together.

I looked, but cannot find any pictures of my fuel pump fuel lines.
Ragwing S/N 18073
IdahoPilot

Post by IdahoPilot »

ok, Thanks for looking. Any idea on where they kind of route? Your 170 is only 8 behind our SN! Ours is 18065
Ken Nimer
1948 Cessna 170 Ragwing.
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

IdahoPilot wrote:ok, Thanks for looking. Any idea on where they kind of route? Your 170 is only 8 behind our SN! Ours is 18065
Well, it's not likely I can convey it very well in words much better than "kind of".
The lines route below the crankshaft, crossing over to the left side of the engine.
They then turn aft and route beside the oil pan, inside the baffle tunnel.
When they exit from the baffle tunnel they are pretty close to the carb and check valve.

I had to fabricate mine, because some prior owner installed some flexible hoses in a goofy arrangement that was less than satisfactory, after apparently realizing that some even earlier owner had mistakenly removed the fuel pump.

I copied mine from a '48 C170 that I "think" had the original routing.

If you're still wanting pictures, you could probably talk me into pulling the cowling off next weekend to take some.
Ragwing S/N 18073
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Cowling installation, and fuel line routing

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You can sort of see this if you know what your looking at on Fig 34 Engine installation (same as the heat scat tubing) in the '48 IPC.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
DWood

Post by DWood »

IdahoPilot
I have 2 48's and can take photos for you this weekend of the fuel pump and check valve plumbing.
Attached is a snap shot out of the manual.
Do you have alll of the original plumbing?
Dan
Doc1.pdf
(105.58 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
IdahoPilot

Post by IdahoPilot »

That would be awesome if you could. Just having a hard time understanding where the return line goes. Don't know how there is room to go around the front with both. No we don't have the plumbing. We have to make it. Along its life somewhere it was removed, thinking it was not needed. So we bought a pump, check valve, and all fittings noted in the parts manual, and will be building it all. Looking at the IPC I think I got it figured out, but could use all the help I can get!

So, anyone that would be willing to take pictures, I won't say no! Thanks guys!
Ken Nimer
1948 Cessna 170 Ragwing.
DWood

Post by DWood »

Ken:
You might also refer to the attached and call Andy George as he went thru the exact same thing replacing his fuel lines.

http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... uel#p58046
IdahoPilot

Post by IdahoPilot »

Ok, I will surely give him a call. So are your lines aluminum, stainless, or flexible?
Ken Nimer
1948 Cessna 170 Ragwing.
DWood

Post by DWood »

Ken:
I have the original lines on both.
I will do my best to get photos this weekend.
I have Young Eagles Saturday so it will probably be Sunday.
Dan
DWood

Post by DWood »

Ken:
I found some of my pictures from a several years ago.
They should show the fuel pump lines and the Hanlon Wilson exhaust on my 48 (field approval)
A.jpg
B.jpg
IdahoPilot

Post by IdahoPilot »

Thanks Dan, That helps alot! Now I know we were on the right track with the routing. Did you put fire sleeve on the lines?

And you mentioned the Hanlon Wilsons being a field approval. Aren't they on the TCDS?
Ken Nimer
1948 Cessna 170 Ragwing.
DWood

Post by DWood »

Ken:
The original lines did not use firesleeve. I am not personally aware of any that do use firesleeve. However, IMO hose in that application should use firesleeve.
On my 48, the cabin heater valve on the firewall was modified for the 3 inch scat at the same time as the Hanlon Wilson exhaust was installed.
The TCDS A-799 does appear to show the Hanlon Wilson (line 110) for the 170, A, and B per Cessna dwg 0550157 (Gary added the service kit spec to the MX library). If your Hanlon WIlson exhaust matches the Cessna dwg 0550157, then you should be ok.
I went with a field approval.
Dan
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Ken if you go with the '52 setup as called out in the Service Kit it is covered by the TCDS.

If you look close at Dan's plane at the right side you will note the 3" scat going into the front of the muffler. This is the later set up found on '53 and later 170s that I described earlier. It requires a different muffler than what you should have as well as shroud. The aluminum funnel on the front of this system is the hard part to come by and not easy to duplicate.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
DWood

Post by DWood »

Bruce:
Here is a better picture of the right side and it has 3 inch scat in and out. At the time I was looking for a replacement for the pancakes, this was available. It works well and provides alot of heat which was great in Michigan. I riveted a 3 inch flange (Spruce 10350-8) under the baffle (air inlet) to adapt the scat tubing.
Dan
Attachments
C.jpg