Oil filter Adapter

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

FM Filter Adapter

Post by 170C »

John, "I feel your pain"! Seriously, I feel the same way about some of these FAA rules. No, I don't want to compromise my safety or that of my passengers nor the mechanical integrity of my engine/ airframe, etc., but it torques me to pay 2-3 times the price for an item JUST because it has the FAA/PMA approval. Its nice to put a GM oil filter on your GM vehicle (Keep it all GM you know), but when a Fram unit will do just as good a job for a bunch less, I like to use the common sense you talk about.

How about keeping us informed about the Kelly 48108 replacement filter. I have two more of the Champion units @ about $17 +- each & would gladly go to Kelly if all seems OK. By the way where do you find Kelly filters?

Ole Pokey
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

John, I know just what you mean. I understand. (But remember, I don't enforce the FAA's rules, I only mentioned them for the benefit of those who like to follow them to the letter.)
I completely agree with your assessment that if Kelly's filter is an approved substitute for the Champion, then it ought to be possible to use it in all approved applications the Champion is approved for. Only trouble is, I doubt that FM Enterprises used the Kelly filter in the tests that got them their STC approval. I doubt they have any idea what it weighs, and therefore don't have any data on whether or not it will place undue burden on their adaptor due to vibration, etc. (Just an example of how these things can be more than just simple substitutions.)
But I understand how sometimes it's comforting to know the "WHY" of some of these rules. Why,...just last summer,...when I was in the hospital,...they wanted to put some $150 per pint of B+ blood in me, ...when I knew they had lots of $100/pint A+ on hand,.... Well, you can just imagine the argument I started! :P
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

gahorn wrote: Why,...just last summer,...when I was in the hospital,...they wanted to put some $150 per pint of B+ blood in me, ...when I knew they had lots of $100/pint A+ on hand,.... Well, you can just imagine the argument I started! :P
:lol: Hey, I resemble that! :lol:

George, that's some effort to get some speed going by taking on some A+ blood, did it help you any at all, or are you still as fast as a fence post? :lol: Some folks say the A+ is a better bargain. :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The point is, Joe, they know I'm a "B" man, ...that B is Better! ...and worth more! :wink:
(and that my "gear" is not as "loose" as yours.) :lol:
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

I have the informational material on the Kelly Aerospace line of oil filters with me now to reference. They are FAA approved for Lycoming and Continental engines. They are shorter and lighter in weight. They have the hex nut and safety wire fittings. Corrosion resistant aviation grade shell. Pleated Resin-impregnated filter medium. Double roll seam providing leak proof assembly of lid and shell. Perforated and ribbed steel center tube providing maximum internal element strength. More info can be had on their web site: http://www.kellyaerospace.com Aircraft Spruce is listed as one of the distributors, but since these are new on the market they are not in the catalog yet. Sales rep at the Expo booth told me the filters run about $5 less than the Champion filters. The deal makers here, as far as the STC is concerned, are the fact that the filer is FAA/PMA approved, and is shorter and lighter that the Champion...providing for even less stress on the filter adapter. Now, to play devil's advocate, I would think a lighter filter to be weaker, and a smaller filter to be less efficient in filtering the oil...but then again I don't have the exact specs, so the Kelly filters may only be slightly lighter and slightly smaller :)
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Why not take the easy route, & ask F&M if the Kelly filter is approved for use with their adapter? If they OK it,ask them for a letter or other documentation to include with their STC paperwork.

Eric