More bad news....

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

spduffee

More bad news....

Post by spduffee »

Hello all,
If you are familiar with my past postings (main journal crack, corroded oil sump, etc, etc) you'll be interested in a bizarre and sad development. I removed the C-145-2 motor in December. I made a deal with two mechanics to break it down and repair it. I was told in January that the crankcase had been shipped to DivCo and the other parts were off being investigated (crankshaft, camshaft, lifters). I inquired as time went by, as to the status of the block and parts - "We're in the queue, they are busy...Be patient". In the meantime, the main mechanic of the duo is fired from the shop where they work, but "That won't effect you. We're still going to get you flying soon". LasT week I was tired of no news and not being able to reach the mechanic - I called DivCo. They had never received a crankcase. Nor had Premier, Chuck Nye, CSI...no-one. Nor had anyone received my other parts. I finally got hold of the mechanic when I asked WTF? He confessed he had wanted to send the parts to another, it fell through and they were now off to DivCo, for real this time. The case is being investigated now. The other parts went to Rick Romans. I just got off the phone with them and got some really, really bad news. Nearly every part is huffed. The crankshaft flange is cracked. A camshaft lobe is cracked. Twelve of the lifter bodies were already reground and probably have no clearance left. In short, I'm screwed.... I think I'm going to have to sell this bird as a project. I was not expecting this at all.
N5448C -1950 170-A
GAHorn

Re: More bad news....

Post by GAHorn »

OK...settle down.... Sorry about the bad reports...

...but there are other ways to skin the cat. I think you'll be able to find an airworthy engine to simply "bolt on" and be flying again.
There are numerous adverts from our own members which might give good results. The other option is to inquire of salvage yards. Airplanes are being flipped as we speak in the storms crossing southern U.S. and some of them have engines with good times remaining.

YOu were probably already prepared to spend $10K and UP, on your own engine. I think you'll find an engine for your bird with good time remaining for that kind of money.

(And dump those "mechanics". Get them to admit their bad-behavior cancels any labor for which they think you owe. After you get your engine-accessories back from them, ..Get someone who is more honest and who knows how to communicate.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jwpalmer

Post by jwpalmer »

A friend of mine has a C 145 off a project Swift he just bought. Supposedly overhauled and never installed. He is going to be listing it on ebay soon since he will be upgrading to a larger engine. Email me at john (at) richmondoxygen.com and I'll send you his contact info if you are interested.
John
spduffee

Post by spduffee »

Thanks George. I put the old paper bag over my mouth and can breathe now. I'll look around for what is available.
Jwpalmer replied also (thank you!) and I received a call from his friend who has a pretty sweet motor at a good price. We'll see. I've already cut ties with the mechanic and have most of the accessory case at home. The rest of the parts I will retrieve soon. The second mechanic was not responsible for this is is still heading the shop and is an invaluable friend in need.
Given that crankshafts for the C-145 are as rare as honest politicians and cost even more than their average suits, I may be better off with a bolt-on, as suggested. I'm only worried about bolting on the same problem....
N5448C -1950 170-A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

What you want is an engine which has a good, fresh 100 hour inspection report. Get a warranty that it will pass 100 hr inspection after installation-runup, if you can.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
spduffee

Post by spduffee »

I should probably know this, but what exactly does the 100-hr inspection comprise of?
N5448C -1950 170-A
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

gahorn wrote:The other option is to inquire of salvage yards. Airplanes are being flipped as we speak in the storms crossing southern U.S. and some of them have engines with good times remaining.
I'll second this....salvage from a storm damaged airplane was going to be my backup plan if it the teardown inspection on my O-300 revealed any major problems. I talked to a couple of salvage shops and they get O-300s occasionally from storm-flipped aircraft.
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

If you are in Renton, and I'm in Oak Harbor, How can I help?

I build 0-300s

we have sources for parts used and or new.
spduffee

Post by spduffee »

Hey TCDowney,
I had no idea we were neighbors! I can either buy another engine or look for a crankshaft, cam and lifters. Do you happen to have anything available? I've got two sellers of motors and my block waiting for a go/no-go for repair. If the parts are reasonable, I would prefer to go that route. If the parts equal to or exceed the cost of the motors (I've been told the crankshafts are very expensive...), I'd probably take the chance on one of those; so my thought pattern at the moment. I would certainly be interested in talking. Please send me a PM and give me your number, if you don't mind.
Thanks!
N5448C -1950 170-A