Gear Legs

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

fangzz

Gear Legs

Post by fangzz »

I've noticed, but until now, haven't really thot about the fact that the trade in gear legs is brisk. Do they 'wear out?'

Why I recently began thinking about it is this. I think I've definitely noticed my tires beginning to assume a more 'de-cambered' stance. And the tires are just beginning to show the uneven tire wear you'd expect with that stance. Then I got to looking at the legs themselves. I thought spring steel was virtually indestructable, but darned if I don't think I notice that they look a little 'splayed' instead of 'bowed.'

Definitely, at least, going to have to go for a couple of shims. But, do you think I'm looking at needing to replace the legs?
Tire wear is consistent, both sides. Tracks straight. No landings that I'd classify as hard.

So, I would greatly appreciate you guys imparting a little of your experience and knowledge on this area.

Thanks. Drew
blueldr

Re: Gear Legs

Post by blueldr »

If your airplane is equipped with the early style gear legs, those that are interchangeable right and left, they are somewhat less robust than the later "Lady Legs" type that came into use about mid 1953. The early models do tend to be a little splayed out. I suspect that the model change was due to this condition.
If you have the later model "Lady Legs", or C-180 legs, and are experienceing splaying, I strongly advise you to look into a reason for the condition.
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Drew it's in your head.

It's not broke don't "fix" it.

If you told me you had uneven tire wear and it didn't track right that might be different but you say it is good and it wouldn't be if your gear was bent.

The trade of landing gear is largely because people with early gear like you should have, think they need later gear or 180 gear. People with later gear think they need 180 gear.

You rarely hear someone changing out their gear because it got bent though I suppose that could happen. More than likely if they bent the gear they also bent a lot of aluminum and steel in the landing gear bulkheads.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
fangzz

Post by fangzz »

She's a 51 and there's nothing in the forms or logs to indicate they are anything but original. So, what you say makes sense. So, I guess it's going to be shimmable. Wear from one side to the other is completely symmetric. Guess it's in my head. My IA is at SnF so he gets to weigh in in a few days. Thanks guys. Drew
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Remove your tires and swap them around to even-out the wear.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Drew, what do you need to shim? You say tire wear is symmetrical and if so then it's good. Even if you had wear on say both inside or both outside of the tires, I wouldn't bother shimming it unless it was really bad. I'd just rotate the tires on the wheels, inside for out every year or so.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com