Rental/lease

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Sixracer

Rental/lease

Post by Sixracer »

There is a local flying club that is having problems. There are about 10 locals that are nearing solo's. The club can't get insurance coverage for them to fly solo as students. I have been approached to lease or rent my plane, independently from the club, to several of the local busnessmen that are members of the club. The plan is to let them fly with my friend/CFI, then solo. My insurance guy has written an AOPA policy on my plane because I have been letting a buddy of mine learn to fly with it. He now has about 12 hours dual. We had to write the policy based on his no time and my 1400+ hours and my CFI buddy with Umpteen hours. 10,000+
I am more concerned with the liability than any loss of the aircraft. I would like ask the experience pool here for any constructive input.
Thanks...
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Rental/lease

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Why is it they can't get insurance for their own aircraft but you would be able to get insurance on your aircraft to cover them? Something isn't right here.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Sixracer

Post by Sixracer »

The club has several very young CFI's. I might have more hours than two of them. The club has had a series of accidents that have destroyed members planes. I think your right, something is wrong. Could be in the club. The Men and Woman that have contacted me are dropping out. I was talking to a member of the club, who has a license, today & He called a sectional a "Map". hum! I don't think I've ever looked in someones plane and seen his selection of Sectionals and said he had a nice selection of books and maps. I'm now wondering if my decision could add my plane to a scrap heap...??
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

Sixracer wrote: I'm now wondering if my decision could add my plane to a scrap heap...??
Sounds like a good possibility. When I bought my cessna 140 the Aero Club I belonged to wanted me to lease my 140 back to them. I told them they didn't have enough money to lease it because I saw how members treated the club planes.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
Sixracer

Post by Sixracer »

Sunday we flew over to Mt. Pleasant ,Texas and took a look at the collection of planes Scott Glover has put together. Awesome!! While there he told us which planes he bought from the Shelby collection. He mentioned that our local club bought Shelby's 172. Word on the street is they have already put it on it's back. I haven't confirmed that as yet. If true, No wonder insurance is a problem.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

That club deserves to be disolved if they allow a member to call a sectional a MAP! That's the kind of thing that sets aviation back to the Montgolfier Brothers.
BL
Sixracer

Post by Sixracer »

Roger, blueldr!!!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yeah! That's just as bad as calling an engine a motor! :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)