170 down in auburn

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: 170 down in auburn

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Thanks for your comments John.

I was in communication with someone who had some knowledge of the preliminary findings, ie stall from 300 ft, flaps on full which immediately brought to mind a slip with flaps stalling the elevator. I asked that this person communicate with the investigators, if possible, the full flap elevator stall characteristics of the B model in case they were not aware so that it could be considered in their findings.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

Thanks Bruce,

I should clarify what my understanding from the investigator is. They were about 1200 ft. short of the runway and about 300ft above what a normal glide path would be, not at 300ft agl when they stalled. That might have resulted in the temptation to add a slip.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
BlakeinAlabama

Post by BlakeinAlabama »

I did not know these fine people, but they sound like wonderful people who loved aviation. I have lost many friends over the past 6 years and I lost 4 last year, one being a 17 year old. As tough a it may be to lose those we care about in aviation, I always always try to learn from these tragic accidents. That being sad, I noticed the topic of the B model slipping with full flaps could cause elevator stall. Is this the same with the A model?

Thank you all for sharing the kind words about them, I wish I could have met them. Blake Mathis, Alabama
Blake Mathis
Huntsville, AL
BlakeMathis@yahoo.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Blake,

The '48 and A model do not have the same flaps and the elevator is slightly different. The A I fly does not exhibit this trait.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com