Left mag drop

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

BlakeinAlabama

Re: Left mag drop

Post by BlakeinAlabama »

I am sure they are over 10 years old. Also when I was getting quotes, they asked what length. I have not measured them. Is there a stand length for these harnesses? I told her about 2 feet. Thoughts?
Blake Mathis
Huntsville, AL
BlakeMathis@yahoo.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

BlakeinAlabama wrote:.... Thoughts?
I think you're in for an expensive learning-curve if you don't start being more specific before ordering parts. (Don't ask how I learned this.) :wink:

Ignition harnesses are different for different models of engines, and individual leads can be specific to cylinder and to whether it goes to the top or the bottom plug of that cylinder, and whether it comes from the right or the left magneto.
There are standard harnesses which are made up for specific engine families, with the cheaper harnesses being more "generic" (meaning all the leads in a complete harness will be the same length) and the better-designed ones following specific installation routing and lengths.
Consider for a moment how your wish your leads to be routed. Did you buy an airplane that had it's third or fourth engine replacement with the installers wadding up the harness into whatever route worked for them and tying them together with ty-wraps?.... or did it follow neat, original or logical routing using cushioned "Adel" clamps similar to this one...Image
The problem with ordering one "about two feet" long is that it might be adequate for the left mag to reach the #2 cylinder's lower plug(tho' I doubt it) ....but it certainly will not reach the #5 cylinder, especially with the need to route it around accessories, baffles, and along a neat pathway coordinating alongside the rest of the individual leads in that harness.
If you order one 5' long and it routes a short distance, then you'll have to coil up the excess and/or loop it back onto itself, and/or let the excess dangle in the engine compartment, all of which will subject it to excessive wear and abuse.... So measuring an individual replacement lead is a good idea, or specifying which engine, cylinder, plug, magneto, and aircraft installation and let the supplier/mfr'r risk the determination, or obtain a "universal" replacement and trim it to length.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

Most harness you can remove the inner core wire and replace it. just a matter of knowing how. the inner wire can be bought in bulk, and you can also buy individual leads completely assembled and install them in you mag cap.
BlakeinAlabama

Post by BlakeinAlabama »

Early I I said that Spruce asked me what length of inginition cables I needed. I called them back to clarify. They were only asking that because I asked about only ordering one cord, in-which they needed to know how long I needed it, which makes sense. If I order a new set, the lengths are set based on the engine, mag brand etc. i was confused but all that makes sense now. Blake
Blake Mathis
Huntsville, AL
BlakeMathis@yahoo.com
BEEZERBOY

Post by BEEZERBOY »

whenever you find a bad wire with one of those testers.... turn the prop at least a half turn & test it again. the distributor finger inside the mag is usually close enough to one wire that it will ground the test pulse back through the secondary winding, giving a false "bad" indication