Video Cameras

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bagarre

Video Cameras

Post by bagarre »

I'm looking for people's Good Bad Ugly opinions on the various little video cameras out there.

I used the GoPro Hero camera for a few months but battery life of 1.5 hours made it frustrating. By the time I got to where I was going, it was dead :( And mounting external, you cant turn it on when you need it.

There are others out there and now Garmin has hit the market with the VIRB.
The top of the line adds GPS, Barometric Altitude and a G-Meter: which you can overlay on the video.
...and they claim 3 hours of battery life.

Anyone have experience with the VIRB or other cameras? What works for you?
bagarre

Re: Video Cameras

Post by bagarre »

The wifi backpack allows you to turn off the GoPro itself but the backpack still needs to stay on. And my experience has been that the backpack runs out of battery life first anyway.
N419A

Re: Video Cameras

Post by N419A »

I've been using the Drift HD 170 it's fairly cheap and it has a wireless remote. Cheap is good I mount it on my helmet when skidooing and mountain biking also. I also has a rotatable lens, so the camera doesn't have to be mounted level on the longitudinal axis. The video quality seams good I haven't messed with a lot of the settings, 720, 1080p, HD and the exposures and frame rates which all play a part in quality. I have hours of flying biking and skidooing but have only made a few videos. I could send a few small raw clips of different conditions if you want.

Here's a few flying ones I've made:

https://vimeo.com/77111821

https://vimeo.com/69867030
53' 170B
180+HP IO360M1B (StootS conversion), 80" Hartzell, Sportsman Cuff, Super Drooper tips, V-Brace, Selkirk X baggage, AK Bushwheels all around.