My '55 170B Project

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

JohnNielsen

Re: My '55 170B Project

Post by JohnNielsen »

It has been a while, but today was exciting!! The main panel in my 170 project has been cut. Today we test fit all the instruments and planned the routing of wires and hoses from the rear of each. The glove box gets a door and the black GPS holder gets an angle mount and trim to cover the rest of the opening. The subpanel will get the same test treatment and temp mounting of controls, the switches and breakers. Then it gets cut and final fitted. Once all wired, the instruments come out, panels gets powder coated, labeled and re-installed. Then it goes back to the main shop to be mated with it's wings, doors, skis and engine controls. This is the fun part of the project as it begins to really come together. Tom Bauer at Top Flight Avionics in Cumberland, WI is great to work with.

Last week, the main shop got the doors and cowling mounted and fit. He then masked the remaining paint lines that will get done while the plane is at the avionics shop.

And the seats are done and returned from Daniel at Sport Aircraft Seats in Alaska. He had to custom make the covers and pads for the rear bench seat and they turned out great...very light, firm and comfortable!
Attachments
www.SportAircraftSeats.com did great work on the seats.
www.SportAircraftSeats.com did great work on the seats.
Cowling & doors fit and taped for painting.
Cowling & doors fit and taped for painting.
Test fitting of panel.
Test fitting of panel.
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

You should be able to zoom in on the panel pic to read the paper place holders on the lower sub panel. The round circles on the blue tape will be 10 circuit breakers for elect loads. The panel below the radios is: Master, Avionics Master, Nav Lts, Strobe Lts, Lndg Lites, Pitot Heat. Dimmer is mounted below the panel. 12v pwr plugs on each side where indicated w/ blue tape. Post lamps and green LED lite strip illuminate the panel at night.
John
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Glad I got my best custom "B" award while I could...looks real nice
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

The real final panel has been cut, painted and had instruments installed. Antennas are done. The sub-panels are now also done. Today we finish the cabling for the intercom. Next is the cabling for the other things like the lights, pitot heat and stall warning and then back to the other shop to have wings fitted. We installed firewall material from 3M that is really nice to work with and very dense to quiet noise trough the firewall. 1" black closed cell foam was applied to the underside of the glare shield and sides under the panel for noise and temp control. I will make a door for the glove box next. Need to find a means of ducting the heat from the firewall plenum to the narrow metal duct at the forward door posts because we are not going to use any of the interior trim panels (the front panels contained a built in duct system). Tom Bauer at Top Flight Avionics in Cumberland WI is sure a great technician to work with!!

John
Attachments
Panels in place
Panels in place
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

Over the top of the panel, there is a 'U' shaped overhang piece that has a strip of green LED strip lites on a dimmer. This will go on after the we are done removing the panel so often to work on things behind it. I love flying in the night and end up turning the panel lites down to about nothing to take advantage of seeing the wonderful scenes presented in night flight.
John
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

It has been a while since I updated you with the project and a lot has been accomplished. Top Flight Avionics completed and tested all the avionics and inside wiring. I got the firewall insulated and now made the move to get the plane back to my own hanger. This week we made and secured connections between the cabin and engine for carb, prop, heat and air controls. We installed an plumbed all fluid lines for primers, oil and fuel pressure. The battery box was installed, new relays installed, new wires, and switches and tested same...It is a cool feeling to hit the master switch and hear a click and see power to the bus. EGT & CHT wires are now routed and connected. Remote senders for Oil and fuel pressure are mounted and wired to the EFIS. Aeroquip lines have been measured and are being made for all fuel supply from gascolator to carb. It took one whole day to return the trim tab actuator and chain back to the proper position....I am in need of one actuator clamp if anyone has one...

We pick up the doors tomorrow from the paint shop and begin installing new windows and seals, then installing the latches. Seats have been done for a long time now. BAS Inertial belts will be installed.

Meanwhile, at the other shop, the wings are now completed. The tanks are installed, along with tips, lights, strobes, covers and heated pitot. As soon as the mud dries up we will trailer them back to meet the plane...perhaps mid-May.

Going to re-skin the flaps because of a few small cracks, then clean and paint them along with the ailerons. All new wing and control parts are on hand from McFarland, ready to be put to good use. Should be ready to fly by end of May???

John
Attachments
Taking her back to my main hanger.
Taking her back to my main hanger.
Control labels in place and firewall insulated
Control labels in place and firewall insulated
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

John, even without the rest of the instruments installed that is a really clean neatly laid out panel.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

Now with the plane back at my home airport hanger only 3 miles from home/office; I have been able to spend a considerable amount of time on my project. This weekend, we got the wings installed. Since the last post the following have been completed:

All wiring, fluid, instrument, control connections between cabin and firewall are done. All wires, bundled and secured. So now we are DONE with firewall forward!!
The baggage door was painted and installed with weatherstrip and adjusted.
The main door hinges had quick release pins installed, new door seals and got their color paint. They are now ready for the windows that are a side bench project.
Cowling has been painted with the colors and test fit.
Cabin wiring checked, tested and secured.
Interior insulation continues with use of 1/4" foam on all interior surfaces.
Trim tab installed and cabled tensioned.
Rudder stops and travel adjusted.
Right wing aileron and flap cables attached to bellcranks. (waiting for flaps and ailerons to come back from paint shop next week.)
Panel installed and tested as much as possible w/o engine running.
Interior tailcone vacuumed and installed Selkirk extended baggage tray and bulkhead panel.
Working on cabin vents on wing roots.

The left wing is next to make connections and install cables and bellcranks. Making some adjustments and new trim covers for around wing roots.

I think it will be flying in June!! And plan to bring it to OSH to park with the Club.

John Nielsen
N170KW
Attachments
Baggage door took  many hours of work to get to fit and operate like a fine German automobile.
Baggage door took many hours of work to get to fit and operate like a fine German automobile.
Proud Owner following successful wing installation.
Proud Owner following successful wing installation.
Right side of engine...DONE!!
Right side of engine...DONE!!
Engine connections are DONE!!!
Engine connections are DONE!!!
Panel installed and fired up.  The firewall color will be changed to black along with side panel insulation adn the ducts for rear heat.
Panel installed and fired up. The firewall color will be changed to black along with side panel insulation adn the ducts for rear heat.
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Hey Bloomer John - looking really good!

Glad to hear you'll be in OSH (with your guitar I expect!)
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

The main reason I sold the RV6 and went back to a C170 was that I could not fit a guitar in the RV6!! With this set up, I can fit not only the guitar, but the full PA and members of my band!! :D
John
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

The last few weeks have been consumed with making the fits of trim and wing parts...it takes a lot more time than expected!!
So now the control cables for flaps and ailerons is complete. The flaps and ailerons are going to be delivered this week for installation. Got the new window plastic installed and are waiting for hinge material to install the windows to the doors.
The cowl is fitted and ready for final install. We will run some fuel through the system from each tank and out the (un-hooked) supply hose at the carb to verify proper flow and free of debris. While waiting for wing parts, I continued on the flooring. Before doing the front area, I paused to install the plumbing for the hydraulic skis. We had to completely redesign the placement and mounting of the pump and oil tank, but it fits nice now. Might be able to fly it in about a week or two!!!

John
Attachments
Interior just about done.
Interior just about done.
Pump for skis
Pump for skis
Cowl fits fine!!
Cowl fits fine!!
N2625U

Post by N2625U »

Isn't blue faster than red or green? :D
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Blue and yellow make green. (only prettier) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

OK, I need to update this post. The plane is flying again!!!! Last time in the air was 1977. Took about 1.5 hrs to get the new engine to seat the rings. I love the quiet smoothness of the MT 3-blade prop....fun to run at 2000 rpm and higher power settings.. Fuel flow at full power gets your attention at 18 to 19 GPH, but in cruise it goes down to 8.7 to 9.2 GPH when leaned. She climbs in excess of 1000FPM at full gross in 85 degree days and get off the ground in about 3 -4 plane lengths. Lot's of paperwork...15 total 337 reports filed that are 2.5" thick total with all the attachments!! I spent much more than planned, but I have a 'new' plane that can carry 4 and gross amounts of cargo in comfort and style for less than half the price of a new 172 or 2-place Husky.

Still need to finish the interior fwd panels that will carry the heat duct pointing to the rear. Also need to finish placement of the Hyd Ski pump for winter use. I got a chance to fly it to OSH for 2 days and camp with the 170 group...THANK YOU DAN!!

Now I plan to take her sightseeing about the USA. Hope to run into members along the way.

John
Attachments
Ready to fly!
Ready to fly!
Flying!!
Flying!!