Operating on the fringe or Wish I hadn't done that.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Doug's C-170

Post by 170C »

Boy, what a transition from the old panel to the new one. Doug, that is really nice------amost too nice to go out and fly it for fear of scratching or wearing something. You can come redo my panel anytime you need something to occupy your time. Looking forward to seeing it in person at one of the conventions.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Doug,

Wow, beautiful airplane. I'm interested in your panel restoration -- is the upper part NOS, restored salvage part, new fab?

Dave
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Wow... thanks for all the complements everyone. It sure does feel good being behind that panel again.

DaveF, not sure which "upper part" you are referring to... The panel overlay (that covers the seven main instruments) is a part I picked up from an online auction. I had bought a couple and this one was the least cut up of the three I had. A couple pieces of aluminum were cut (in irregular shapes) to fit the overlay and fill in the unwanted holes - the DG hole in the center was actually too big so that piece was cut to reduce the hole size to 3 1/4 as well as fill in other holes nearby. The pieces were placed on the backside of the overlay, flush rivited from the front, covered with some filler, and then painted. The bezels were found from online auctions, salvge yards, and other aviation sites that list parts for sale - some I bought as singles, some came with the panel overlays that I bought.

The compass cover at the top I got from a now defunct salvage yard.
Doug
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Yeah Doug! Glad to see that you're "back in the saddle" again.

That bird is just as pretty as when you sold it.....
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Doug,
The panel overlay (that covers the seven main instruments)
Yep, that's what I meant. Thanks for the description. I'm hoping to have a project of my own one of these days.

Dave
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

DaveF wrote:Doug,
The panel overlay (that covers the seven main instruments)
Yep, that's what I meant. Thanks for the description. I'm hoping to have a project of my own one of these days.

Dave
Well... pick a good one. Everything you hear about uncovering other problems as you get into the project is true. Above all, be patient and have fun! Good luck.
Doug