Operating on the fringe or Wish I hadn't done that.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Operating on the fringe or Wish I hadn't done that.

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Only those with eagle eyes might have noticed a slight change in member Doug Mowery's signature. It once again says caretaker of '82A rather than former caretaker.

That is because Doug came to his senses and bought '82A back from fellow member Buck "New 182" Franke in a weak moment that Buck had deciding to sell.

Here is a photo caught just after Buck handed the keys to Doug. Doug not realizing the coep he had just completed repurchasing '82A and Buck realizing he no longer owned a classic round tail aircraft and would be regulated to viewing only his G1000 panel for Sunday breakfast runs.

Here is a photo of member Steve Fogerty and a flying buddy who delivered Doug to UKT to seal the deal. Steve's smile is a bit larger than normal as he is realizing Doug will not longer be bothering him for a ride in his 170.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Doug must be still weak from the negotiations. It appears that Buck is having to hold him up by his collar. :lol:

(This pic just HAS to be the cover pic for the 2009 Calendar! (along with the story of remorse and subsequent good fortune!) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Congratulations, Doug, wherever you are. I know how good it feels to get one back!
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:Doug must be still weak from the negotiations. It appears that Buck is having to hold him up by his collar. :lol:
Looks the other way 'round to me... unless Doug's been using a picture of Buck as his avatar all these years. Unless I miss my guess, Doug's the one in the blue jacket. Buck's face looks like seller's remorse to me. :cry:

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

My fingers are faster than my brain. (I know what Doug looks like... I just didn't see the fringe on his BVD's) :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

YUP! I'm back in the saddle w/'82A! Woohoo! Feels mighty good.

For the record I'd like to say thanks to Buck for the opportunity to buy '82A back and for the EXCEPTIONAL job he did caring for the 'ol girl.

On the way home I was thinking we should have staged a different photo... something like Bruce distracting Buck while I made a quick getaway in '82A :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doug
Mark Harwood

Post by Mark Harwood »

Congrats Doug! That is a great looking plane! Mark
Mark Harwood

Post by Mark Harwood »

Doug, I was reading your post on when you bought your plane at Fulton Co. I was curious what year you bought it and if it was painted like that when you bought it. My '49 has the same colors and paint scheme. Painted those colors in '96. Mine was based in Bennington VT and Cambridge NY the majority of it's life. I have it in Cambridge (Chapin field) . I would love to get a closer look at your plane. Do you still frequent NY0 (Fulton Co.)? I go every couple of months. I think the diner is still open. Let me know if you are ever out this way and I will meet you there. Mark
'49 A N9183A
Cossayuna Lake NY
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Hi Mark, I bought it in Dec. '99 and it had a different paint scheme at the time. I went through a major refurb. in 2004 which included repainting it as it is today. I haven't been back to Fulton Co. since I bought it... no real reason other than my travels haven't taken me there. I'd be happy to drop by sometime so we can swap stories and grab something to eat.

I have website that covers my time with '82A and also my Hatz project.

http://www.damowry.com/ click on the Cessna 170 Project link and read all about it.

It looked like this when I bought it:

This is the day it came out of the paint shop:

Doug
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Doug,

Very, very nicely done. You are a real craftsman and are to be congratulated.

Dick Lemmon
BL
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Thanks Dick. However, I can't take full credit for it. The layout and paint scheme/colors is mine and I scrounged 95% of the parts, but the actual panel work was done by my mechanic and the paint, of course, was done at the paint shop.

I wish I had been more involved in it, but the shop was 90 minutes from home and I was travelling half the time for work. :roll: :cry:
Doug
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

I like what you did with the control yokes Doug - how were they done - repainted?
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Yes, I had them repainted. The old plastic-like coating (that was covered by auto steering wheel cover) was really beat and chipped. I wanted an offsetting color for the controls so the color scheme worked out like this:

Main panel and instrument bezels: Light Ivory (same as the exterior base color and interior trim color)

Overlays: Deep Maroon (same as the exterior trim color)

Yokes and knobs: Cabernet Red
Doug
Mark Harwood

Post by Mark Harwood »

Thanks for the great pictures Doug! Now I really want to see this plane up close! That panel is sweet! :D
'49 A N9183A
Cossayuna Lake NY
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You are one lucky Dude, Doug! I can't imagine why anyone would be more attracted to a G1000 suite in a brand new C-182, after a panel like that! Nice work!