170B Landings short or long, wheel or 3pt

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: 170B Landings short or long, wheel or 3pt

Post by GAHorn »

Zreyn, one thing you might try is: Loading your airplane to the average wt you normally fly at, and with a couple of heavy-duty plastic garbage bags laid one upon the other.....two sets of them .... each set directly in front of your main wheels about 3 or 4 feet.... You and a buddy push on the left/right struts in a straight line and push your main wheel upon the garbage bags. Then look to see if the bags have remained largely stationary...or have they twisted/screwed themselves all in a wad and/or torn... indicating your main wheels need alignment.

At 2,000 lbs operating weight, your wheels should have zero camber and zero toe-in/toe-out. Toe-in/out errors can really make the airplane handle "squirrelly".

Wheel alignment is adjusted with "shims" placed between the axles and the main gearlegs.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

blueldr wrote:George is absolutely right!

If you will take the time to go to the gym and bulk up those muscles, you'll be able to lift that baggage over the back seat and wont have to chop open the side of your airplane and put a door in it.
Image Image Image
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

blueldr wrote:Squaretail,

If you have no desire to be a member of this organization, why do you complain if the members think you're some kind if a cheap assed freeloader on the forum?
GOLDURN IT ELDER DIJA FERGIT TU TAKE YER PIL THIS MORN. ITSA THEM LIL PILLS WHAT MAKECHA "GO" A LIL EASIER YA NO. . . . .Image .

AN GAY HORN EWE NEEDS TU GIF YER HI HOARSE A REST. WE NO U GOTS MILLUNS OF HOURS UV SMARTS BUTWE DOAN'T NEEDS IT ALL IN ONE BIG OLE DOSE . . . . .Image
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Gar, I have a special message for you: Image
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

gahorn wrote:Gar, I have a special message for you: Image

George, Where did yu find that?.......I love it
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

In reference to the above, are you talking about the avitar or the activity?
BL
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

blueldr wrote:In reference to the above, are you talking about the avitar or the activity?
Ovecourse it is the avitar.......but.....not butt....anyone that has an unusual problem with me (not that I don't cause problems)...can Kiss my..................Image
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

Has anyone figured out why there is no one around when you make a really good landing? And when you "fly it into the ground" or bounce it really good, your wife or mother in law is on board and all your friends are next to the runway watching.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

gahorn wrote:Gar, I have a special message for you: Image
GAY HORN IS THE "SHORT" ONE DOIN THE KISSIN - - -Image
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

Blue leaders comment is absolutely priceless - a real three pointer (pun intended)!!!

It is a gray and wet day in the northeast but this thread has brightened my day and has me wishing I had George's avatar of the guy rolling on the floor laughing. Image
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Brad Brady wrote:
blueldr wrote:In reference to the above, are you talking about the avitar or the activity?
Ovecourse it is the avitar.......but.....not butt....anyone that has an unusual problem with me (not that I don't cause problems)...can Kiss my..................Image
Who put the end on my post?....... THANKS!...... I wish I knew how to do that.
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

voorheesh wrote:Has anyone figured out why there is no one around when you make a really good landing? And when you "fly it into the ground" or bounce it really good, your wife or mother in law is on board and all your friends are next to the runway watching.
Dosn't that have something to do with one of my close Irish relitives.......Murphy?... :roll:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Brad Brady wrote:
Brad Brady wrote:
Who put the end on my post?....... THANKS!...... I wish I knew how to do that.
Compliments of the moderator. :wink:
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

George,
You are just out of this world :lol: with your "SPECIAL" knowledge.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

voorheesh wrote:Has anyone figured out why there is no one around when you make a really good landing? And when you "fly it into the ground" or bounce it really good, your wife or mother in law is on board and all your friends are next to the runway watching.
First law of applied aerodynamics: "The quality of any landing is inversely proportional to the sum of the number of people watching and riding along."

In algebraic form:

Q=1/(Pw+Pra)

Only when the pilot is the only witness (Pw + Pra=1) can the quality of the landing be 100%. :wink:

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne