Newbie Questions on the 170B

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Uh, Miles. They're not Vodka Gimlets. Just wanted you to know. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

3958v wrote:Tony Many people including myself started looking for a B model only to find a better ragwing or A model for the budget they had. In my case I no longer would even consider upgrading. I have never felt that I did not want to go into a certain field because I dont own a B model. The weights vary more on equipment lists than on models. I consider heat to be the most improved feature of later 170s. From your discription of your needs any model 170 will fill your needs so buy the one with the best condition airfame for your money. Bill K.
I second Bill's comments. I found a real deal on a ragwing & bought it to tide me over til I found a B model to buy. Well, here it is 8 years later-- I can't recall when I quit looking for a B, but it's been several years. I was hot for a 180 (or more) horse B for quite a while, but lately I've been thinking of going the other way--"downgrading" to a sport-pilot legal 2-place tube & fabric airplane. A suitable one of those would meet most of my mission requirements.

Eric
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

I can't recall when I quit looking for a B, but it's been several years. lately I've been thinking of going the other way--"downgrading" to a sport-pilot legal 2-place tube & fabric airplane.
Good point about not being satisfied without a B. Try to hang in there Eric! :P
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Eric

This is a little off the subject. Your thoughts of down sizing struck a nerve with me because as you know you asked me what I thought about Cubs and like aircraft.

I've got to tell you the only way I'd only have a Cub type airplane is if I needed to fly under sport pilot rules. Other wise it would be a VERY difficult thing to do but I'd sell my Cub before the 170.

My J3 Cub, as fun as it is, does not have nearly the utility that the 170 has. the only thing cheaper is it uses half the gas than the 170 but since it takes longer to get somewhere your going it's nearly the same.

My Cub, even though it is insured for $15000 less hull coverage only cost $20 less per year to insure. It takes the same tie down or hanger space so that cost is the same.

I thought you were considering buying a Cub in addition to your 170 not to replace it. I'd think long and hard before I did that.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Plus, after seeing the landings you do in a 170, Bruce, ...that Cub surely doesn't do much better! :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)