Tail wheel play

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

buzzlatka

Tail wheel play

Post by buzzlatka »

I'm at the hangar doing the annual and on a phone so searching is tough. I have the tail on a jack to repack the tail wheel bearings. When I grab the tail wheel and wiggle it there is a little bit of play. I am only rotating the assembley a fraction of a degree but the rear of the tail wheel is moving almost a half an inch. This is free play and the steering arm is not moving above it. Is this normal?
bagarre

Re: Tail wheel play

Post by bagarre »

Can you describe exactly what is moving?
The Scott Tailwheel only? The Tailwheel spring in the bracket or is the bracket itself moving on the airframe?

None of those should be moving that much but its tough to tell what might be lose or missing by your description.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It sounds as if your pawl and pawl spring (and perhaps associated parts) are failed. The best thing is to remove the tailwheel assy and disassemble completely for inspection.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
buzzlatka

Post by buzzlatka »

a video is worth a thousand words.

http://vimeo.com/56733669
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

your play is between the compression spring mounted on the fork and the steering arm where it engages the arm. It could be the steering arm worn, the spring worn or both. you will have to disassemble and inspect to know for sure.
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

Item 22 is the compression spring.
blowup_3200[1].jpg
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Sorry guys, I misread the initial post. Didn't mean to cause any confusion.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Fred has it about right. I always seem to find a little bit of play here, The connection is not rigid.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

What would be considered an acceptable amount of play? I imagine there should be some but how much?
All work and no play is never a good thing.
buzzlatka

Post by buzzlatka »

that is the million dollar question. how much play is acceptable?
thanks.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

That play is not adjustable, it is caused by clearance between the compression spring, Item #22 in the diagram and the steering arm, Item #10. Is the play causing a problem that caused you to check it out like shimmy, hard to swivel, or loss of steering (beyond the already poor steering)?

If not, there is nothing that can be done short of replacing worn parts. It's probably worn pawls in the steering arm. It sure won't hurt a thing to take it apart, clean it, inspect/learn how it works, re-lube it, and put it back together and then you'll know how it works. Obviously, if there are any failed parts, replace them and possibly the part they engage with that are worn.

I think how much play is acceptable is subjective, if you are comfortable with it and there are no failed internal parts, fly it.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

buzzlatka wrote:that is the million dollar question. how much play is acceptable?
thanks.
The answer is the amount of play you will tolerate. Now send money to my Paypal account. :lol:

Seriously. If the play bothers you, replace parts. I doubt you will notice a difference in the steering new parts or old. I doubt if replacing the worn parts will do anything to increase the life of the other parts involved.

So it really comes down to what yo find acceptable.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
docfoley

Post by docfoley »

Very helpful posts, thanks! My tailwheel is a little loose and is about to get some new parts....
Charley
N2704C
buzzlatka

Post by buzzlatka »

I have an old scot 3200 laying around the hangar. I am going to take it apart and play with it and try to understand the inner workings. Thanks for the advice. If I decide to replace parts at least I will have had some practice.
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I had this same issue with my new to me 170 isent the wheel to Alaska bushwheel in Portland and was delighted with their service. One hour labour for the rebuild. I had dissasembled it
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019