Firewall Replacement

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bagarre

Firewall Replacement

Post by bagarre »

This last annual, I pulled off the old firewall pad and was amazed at the corrosion from old glue and the number of extra holes drilled from years of who knows what.
So, we cleaned it best we could (It turned out to be solid), riveted up all the holes (big steel pop-rivets) and painted the thing on the inside.

I'll never put a firewall pad in after seeing that mess.

I'm in the early stages (collecting parts) for a TCM IO-360 conversion and thought, "Why not replace the firewall when it's all apart?"

How nuts is that? It seems like a few days work to drill out and rivet in a new one. Am I missing anything obvious?

Maybe a few more days to clean up and prime internal bits that I'll never ever see again.
What else should I do if I do this?
Rudder pedals, brake cylinders/hoses?

Is this a bigger can of worms than I want to get into?
GAHorn

Re: Firewall Replacement

Post by GAHorn »

Lots or full-restorations began as small repair schemes. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
54170b

Post by 54170b »

Pulling off and installing a new firewall is a good days work if you know what you are doing and start at about 8 am
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I'm interested in this as well. I have as much visceral hatred for patches as I do for unusable holes in a piece of material (and overspray and general griminess). I would see that as a good way to access areas of your airplane that haven't seen the light of day in over 60 years, such as your rudder pedals and associated hardware, as well as having more unrestricted access to the back side of your panel. Mike Roe posted some pictures of the new firewall that he was putting in N2475D, and it was a beautiful sight.

Hip bone, leg bone philosophy aside, I would be concerned with ensuring that the firewall didn't shrink, causing fitment issues with the cowling, making it painfully obvious to anyone that your firewall were replaced. I've seen more than a few C150s with a cowling that doesn't match up to a replacement firewall. I'm sure that has every bit to do with the competence of the person performing the repair as it does with the quality of the part, but I would hate to think that I ruined something that was functionally okay for the sake of getting rid of a few old holes.

So long as one has a concerted plan of attack instead of making new work for themselves "while I'm in there", I think that the benefits would far outweigh the costs and effort. I wouldn't set out to make a one-day job, but certainly within a week or two to make sure that everything was kosher wouldn't be bad, if I were writing the checks and making the decision to have my airplane down for a period of time.
falco

Post by falco »

Bushings for the rudder torque tubes are cheap and easy to replace.
The replacement Cessna bushings are plastic, not metal, but they were less than $20 for the set.
Trivial job with that kind of access.
Easy access to the brake hoses, cylinders, pedals, etc. fix it all when you have the firewall out. None of it is difficult.

Much harder to do it from the other side.
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

We did it on my 55 170B project. Used stainless steel replacement.
John
Attachments
New firewall ready to be riveted in.
New firewall ready to be riveted in.
Look at the wonderful access you get when firewall is out.
Look at the wonderful access you get when firewall is out.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

You might contact Dick Doll (his San Diego area address is in the 2011 TIC170A directory) for advice. I believe the replaced the firewall on the conversion of his C-170B.
BL
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Ohh, this would make it easier to put the header tank under the floor too.
canav8

Post by canav8 »

bagarre wrote:Ohh, this would make it easier to put the header tank under the floor too.
David dont be a design engineer think as a mechanic for accessibility when you have to repair it. You probably dont want that under the floor . D
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Very good point.
And to think I get on people's case about that very same mistake in software development.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I guess you have to follow the install per the STC but...if you could copy the 172 XP, it's header tank would fit nicely under the R/H floor with the aux pump under the L/h side and no requirement to butcher the firewall.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS