Brake Master Cylinder

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

robrien

Brake Master Cylinder

Post by robrien »

Lots of posts on brakes - I did a quick search but did not see this - apologies if I missed it (please send link).
Issue:
I have cleveland brakes on my 170B, and having issue with air in the system - the brake is solid on the ground after being bleed from the bottom up (fluid pushed up from the brake bleed screw), and after about 30 minutes flying, the pedal goes to the floor. Another 60 seconds of furiously pumping the pedal, and I have pressure again. This will hold, but then there might be one pedal pump during a subsequent landing rollout, and then the brakes are back to solid. Is this something commonly seen? What is the cause, and what should be done to resolve this? Thanks!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Brake Master Cylinder

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Probably not air but the Lock O Seals need to be replaced in your master cylinders. If the seal does not seal there will be no pressure when you push the brake pedal, just like it would seem the master cylinder has air in it. And this can be sporadic. Pressure nearly every time but when you need it.

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12516&p=118268&hilit=lock+o+seal#p118268
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
robrien

Post by robrien »

thanks Bruce - I also saw another post of yours referencing the seal replacement - I can leave the cylinder in place and just diassemble the pedal from the shaft/piston asym and simple remove it. Is it that simple?
robrien

Post by robrien »

Here's an image of the master cylinder that's currently installed - is this the original from 1952? I will have an A&P rebuild for me, but nice to have the info. Notice the fluid at the bottom - the filler screw (with I assume vent) is at the top. Not sure what this plate does, as there is a spring that fits on this - any insight? I looked at the exploded parts diagram you provided a link to, and did not see this part?
Attachments
master cylinder
master cylinder
Bruce Fenstermacher

Aryana wrote:
robrien wrote:thanks Bruce - I also saw another post of yours referencing the seal replacement - I can leave the cylinder in place and just diassemble the pedal from the shaft/piston asym and simple remove it. Is it that simple?
Yep, it's a pain but it can be done.
Yes it is a pain, yes you can disassemble just the top leaving the bottom and hoses attached. More of a pain is removing the bottom end as well.

c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Not sure what this plate does, as there is a spring that fits on this - any insight?
The plate that has the shaft going through it ?: is for a parking brake cable /system. I think there a few different styles of these levers most of which are removed for safety purposes. Just about everyone has removed theirs; suggest you search and read related posts.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
robrien

Post by robrien »

thanks Jim - the emergency brake bracket is not hooked up to anything - appreciate the info.
Bruce Fenstermacher

It is the tabs on the cylinders that can be activated and they should be removed when you go through the trouble of disassembling the master cylinder in my opinion. Disconnecting them from the control cable is only the first (and easiest) step.

robrien

Post by robrien »

Bruce - looked through a bunch of posts, and saw the reference to the tab left on the cylinder - can you provide any links to steps to remove this, or diagrams? I did not see any posts in my initial search.
I would assume that when rebuilding the cylinder, all that's required is to slide it off the shaft assembly - or is there more to it?
From your, and other comments, it seems that this can move and stick in position, essentially locking the brake shaft on the master cylinder, which will, in turn, lock the brake on the pilot side, correct?
robrien

Post by robrien »

Perfect - thanks!
Bruce Fenstermacher

The tab works by jamming the shaft after brake pressure is applied by the cable lifting the tab. removing the cable only removes the possibility of the cable lifting the tab unintentionally as the peddles are pushed. The tab by itself can still make contact with fire wall material and be unintentionally and unknowingly engaged. Removing the tabs at disassembly is easy if your disassembling. If your not planing to disassemble to insure the tab is not activated they should be wired down.

Note: all this tab business does not apply to early master cylinders with serrated shaft as that system is different.

MT_Don

Post by MT_Don »

Ok. I have a dumb question. On my 1948, I cannot locate the master cyl. On later models, I note it is behind each pedal. Mine pushes a tube down to a torque tube that travels into the center. Is it in there? The belly access plate reveals only the heater tube passing.. I'm replacing the O rings, and need to bleed the brakes. Thanks! Don
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

Well, your '48 must be different than my '48!

The master cylinders on mine are directly behind the left side set of rudder/brake pedals.
The right side set of rudder/brake pedals are connected to the left side set of rudder/brake pedals by the torque tubes that you speak of.

You're not looking behind the right side set of rudder/brake pedals, are you?
Ragwing S/N 18073
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

sfarringer wrote:Well, your '48 must be different than my '48!

The master cylinders on mine are directly behind the left side set of rudder/brake pedals.
The right side set of rudder/brake pedals are connected to the left side set of rudder/brake pedals by the torque tubes that you speak of.

You're not looking behind the right side set of rudder/brake pedals, are you?

Right side? LOL. (Dual meanings)

Co-pilot/starboard pedals use the torque-tubes to activate the pilot-side (port side) brake cyls.

Trivia Note:

Left/port/RED all have fewer letters per word than
Right/Starboard/Green. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)