Logbook Entries for PMA Parts

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

nippaero

Logbook Entries for PMA Parts

Post by nippaero »

I am looking for some suggestions on the best way to organize my aircraft logbook. I have been replacing the interior of my plane. I am starting to work on the logbook entries and have a bunch of PMA stickers for things like windows, Airtex interior panels etc. My question is should I put these stickers directly into my logbook with the entry or put them on a separate page and reference them in the logbook? Any suggestions? Some of the stickers are quite large and take up a whole page.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
DaveF

Re: Logbook Entries for PMA Parts

Post by DaveF »

I'd just log the work and put the supporting paperwork in a folder or envelope called "Interior Refurb 2016", or something. The logbook entry can say "Installed new interior carpet, panels, etc., with Airtex p/n xxx FAA/PMA ...", and if anyone wants more info they can go through the other folder. This tells the reader what they need to know and keeps the logbooks neat. It's also a better way of collecting odd-shaped bits of paper. I've never liked overstuffed logbooks with yellow tags and folded sheets of paper stapled to the pages. Just my opinion.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I second Dave's suggestion which is exactly how I do it. I have a 3 ring binder for both my aircraft. Current logs go in the front pocket. The rest of the binder consist of clear sleeves containing copies of all 337s, weight and balance info and printed copies of every AD applying to the aircraft and it's status. One or several of these sleeves contain parts tags for larger projects such as my engine overhaul.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Thanks guys. I was leaning toward that way. I don't want to clutter up the log books.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

The FAA began "incorporation by reference" a long time ago. We can use it too. It keeps the logs clean, easy to follow, easy to research and etc. If more detailed info is needed, then you can pull out the 5lb bag that contains 10lbs of
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I recently started scanning the logbooks for 56D. Most of them weren't too cluttered with staples and the like, but honestly, my big pet peeve are self-adhesive stickers. they triple the thickness of the book.

Understand fully why people insist on using them, but some sort of heat transfer entry signed by the mechanic doing the work would be pretty nice.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Ryan Smith wrote:I recently started scanning the logbooks for 56D. Most of them weren't too cluttered with staples and the like, but honestly, my big pet peeve are self-adhesive stickers. they triple the thickness of the book.

Understand fully why people insist on using them, but some sort of heat transfer entry signed by the mechanic doing the work would be pretty nice.
Ryan, tell me more. How does a heat transfer system work? What type equipment do I need? I'd be all for a better way.
I have used peel-n-stick entries for 15+ years. My handwriting gets worse by the year..........that's only part of the reason I type my entries. The other reason is, I can use bold font for part numbers, red for really important words like "Annual", and to highlight AD's numbers and next due for recurring. The idea is to make the entry an easy scan for future mechanics/inspectors, and owner operators. I agree the peel-n-stick adds an undesirable portlyness to the book, but can/will the heat transfer method accomplish my goals?
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

wingnut wrote:
Ryan Smith wrote:I recently started scanning the logbooks for 56D. Most of them weren't too cluttered with staples and the like, but honestly, my big pet peeve are self-adhesive stickers. they triple the thickness of the book.

Ryan, tell me more. How does a heat transfer system work? What type equipment do I need? I'd be all for a better way.
I have used peel-n-stick entries for 15+ years. My handwriting gets worse by the year..........that's only part of the reason I type my entries. The other reason is, I can use bold font for part numbers, red for really important words like "Annual", and to highlight AD's numbers and next due for recurring. The idea is to make the entry an easy scan for future mechanics/inspectors, and owner operators. I agree the peel-n-stick adds an undesirable portlyness to the book, but can/will the heat transfer method accomplish my goals?
I don't know of a canned solution that would be worth your time to mess with, Del. One would need know what the formatting for the lines and such for the logbooks, and then use a desktop publishing software like Adobe Illustrator or Indesign to format the text, mirror it, and then print it with an inkjet printer on wax paper. Let the ink dry, then place it over the page in the logbook and head with an iron. Sign and done.

At the end of the day, logbooks are worth their weight in gold and keeping clean records is important. There are a few mechanics that have worked on 56D when she was new whose names are unintelligible by their signature, but luckily their certificate number is written...not that it matters 60 years after the fact or is accessible anyway. Is the premium for time and effort to do something like that worth more than the 0.005 thickness added per sheet of self-adhesive label? Probably not, unless you had a bored kid that was into graphic design.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

My annual inspector prefers sticky-labels. He inspects the airplane in my hangar and gives me a hand-written scrap to make it legal, but then finalizes his invoice and other data on his computer and mails me a sticky to place in the logbook. I like it fine because it is much more legible and compact (except the year he mistakenly approved my annual using last year's date! and had to do it over.) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Ryan Smith wrote:
wingnut wrote:

I don't know of a canned solution that would be worth your time to mess with, Del. One would need know what the formatting for the lines and such for the logbooks, and then use a desktop publishing software like Adobe Illustrator or Indesign to format the text, mirror it, and then print it with an inkjet printer on wax paper. Let the ink dry, then place it over the page in the logbook and head with an iron. Sign and done.

At the end of the day, logbooks are worth their weight in gold and keeping clean records is important. There are a few mechanics that have worked on 56D when she was new whose names are unintelligible by their signature, but luckily their certificate number is written...not that it matters 60 years after the fact or is accessible anyway. Is the premium for time and effort to do something like that worth more than the 0.005 thickness added per sheet of self-adhesive label? Probably not, unless you had a bored kid that was into graphic design.
Ryan,
I appreciate the explanation. Log entry methods must evolve to something better than the "sticky" before I will change. I have done mine on computer, and save/print/stick for a long time. I agree it does make the book thicker. In my opinion. I'd rather have a typed entry I can read and understand......in a "thick" book, than a bunch of scribble in a thin book that I can't read.
I like your idea. Make it a relatively inexpensive option in acquisition and time, and I'll do it.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Del -

Apparently you can be one step closer to printing entries directly into logbooks. This looks neat!

https://www.facebook.com/thisisinsiderd ... 447842824/

Probably will not work in a booklet-type setting too well, but it's still cool!
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Ryan Smith wrote:Del -

Apparently you can be one step closer to printing entries directly into logbooks. This looks neat!

https://www.facebook.com/thisisinsiderd ... 447842824/

Probably will not work in a booklet-type setting too well, but it's still cool!
All I get is audio (elevator music), and no video (just a black screen). Maybe I have to join Facebook
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
N2625U

Post by N2625U »

I like the sticky's because I can read them with no problems even though it does make the book thicker. But it would be nice for a thinner book. Stuck in Kansas with 2 stuck exhaust valves...oh well..get to pester my sister and family for a few more days.
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.