Rudder pedal protectors

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

av8ter

Rudder pedal protectors

Post by av8ter »

Howdy Folks,
I'm new to this site as well as new to aircraft ownership. I purchased 49 "A" model. I was wondering where I could fine a set of sheet metal rudder pedal protector? And what do you recommend for sound proofing material to go under the carpet on the cabin floor and the cockpit firewall side? Thanks in advance Mike.
jon s blocker

sound deadening

Post by jon s blocker »

Mike, Skandia makes good sound deadening materials for aircraft. It is spendy but works good. I didn't use any sound deadening under the carpet, since it is a double layered, (aircraft skin then floor surface), you don't get most of your sound from there. It will come from the firewall and the forward fuselage sides. Don't go hog wild with the materials as it all ads weight and that is a major concern with performance. Spend your hard earned money on a good set of headphones and you will be much happier than adding alot of dead weight to the airframe. Also make sure you seal the doors and side windows. Good luck, Jon
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

av8ter,
You lost me there, Sport. What in h--- are "sheet metal rudder pedal protectors"? What are they supposed to do?
BL
av8ter

Rudder pedal protectors

Post by av8ter »

BL,
Rudder pedal protectors are the two peices of sheet metal (pilots side and copilots side) with elongated slots cut in them to allow for rudder pedal movement foward and aft. They keep debris and junk from getting down between the rudder peddal and causing jams and other maintance issues. Most of the time there covered in carpet and people just think there part of the cabin floor, but there not. there seperate.
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

Congratulations on your first aircraft. The day when you get your first airplane has got to be about as good as they get. A few calls to salvage yards http://cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1419 will probably turn up a set of rudder pedal protectors. Have the part numbers from your parts catalog when you call.

I agree with Jon on the headsets. Good ANR headsets are are really effective. I did an ANR upgrade to my David Clark's about 5 years ago and I'm really happy with the results. If you are handy with a soldering iron and like your current headset, it is one option. http://www.headsetsinc.com/anr_upgrade.htm If I was buying a new set I think I would go with the Lightspeeds.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
blueldr

Rudder Pedal Protecters

Post by blueldr »

av8ter,
Mea Culpa! I just never really thought about them having a name. I believe almost any of the many salvage yards could help you. I would also check to see if other models, such as the C-172, use the same part. They all use the same rudder pedals. The salvage yards all list in TAP.
Good Luck. Sorry about the dumb question.
BL
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Mike, if ya don't have any luck with the salvage outfits (good idea to have the part numbers & official part name from the IPC), maybe you can sweet-talk some local 170 owner into pulling his out so you can use them as a pattern to fabricate a set from some aluminum sheet.

Eric
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

I second Eric's suggestion.

Another plus (as far as fabricating your own) is they're made
out of soft ("O") aluminum. Could be what they used to
call 1/2 hard (currently 3000 or 5000 series aluminum).

Easier to fab/bend/bludgeon into shape than T-3 or T-4
material.
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
av8ter

Post by av8ter »

Thanks for the additional info guys, there is a fellow 170 owner on the same airfield and I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I borrow his for a pattern. Mike.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The MX Library has a listing of Salvage Dealers to purview. Request: If you see a listing of a dealer or other supplier in the listing....PLEASE POST A CORRECTING MESSAGE, so others will have the updated contact info. (Area Codes, and addresses do change, and it'll be a big help to everyone if we keep the list updated.)

http://www.cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1419
Best wishes to all....
George
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

My protectors are currently NOT installed and I could trace them and email the outline to you as well as a picture in a few days when I get home. Let me know if you need them. This would be a whole lot easier than removing them from a plane because they are a pain in the butt IMHO to remove and reinstall.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

N9149A wrote:................. they are a pain in the butt IMHO to remove and reinstall.
I agree!
Bruce Fenstermacher

I should have added that IF I wanted them I'd make them unless I found a set for nearly FREE.

Bruce Fenstermacher

av8ter Mike.

I have the tracings and pictures ready to send to you but I need you and anyone else who would like them to send me an email by clicking on the email button at the bottom of this or any of my posts. That way I'll have your email address to send the attachments to. The PM (private message) which is part of this software will not allow attachments.

And if Minton is reading this do the same so I can send you the Cessna wing letter you requested by PM. Spiro you should be all taken care of in the request department.

:x
Boy I wish everyone would update their profile with a current email address. It should be a requirement to join this forum.
:x

robert.p.bowen

Post by robert.p.bowen »

Why fabricate a copy of the originals? They are hard to get on, and hard to get off for inspections, usually skinning up some paint. Why not make out of flat aluminum stock a vertical "plate" that's about 1-1/2" high, with holes at the bottom to screw in like the originals? These keep the trash out, and don't interfere with anything.

I know, not original...