Placards and Decals

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dennis

Placards and Decals

Post by Dennis »

Hi folks, first time for Dennis. I fly a 1953 B model S/N 26035, N1891C. I purchased my beauty a little over a year ago. And its been an adventure. Presently, replacing illegible and nonexistent Placards and Decals as specified in the IPC. The IPC doesn't say what the Placard says or exactly where it goes. Was wondering if TIC170A or a member would have a map or listing of Placards, what they say and where they go? Cessna seems to have most Placards, some reasonably priced and others Not. But even Cessna doesn't say what the placard says, or where it goes, or even if it is correct, or applicable for this aircraft. So I'm starting my Placard journey here.
Thanks up front. Best Regards, Dennis
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Hello Dennis... The TCDS (available online in the Members Only section of the website - not the forum) lists the required placards and their exact wording on the last page. There are a few others scattered throughout the document as well. The IPC gives a pretty good indication of where they go - you just need to hunt it down by going through the various applicable pages.

As for the placards themselves - how original do you want to be? As long as the appropriate verbage is used in the appropriate places, is doesn't matter how they are produced. You can buy placards from Cessna, you can buy the placard kits from places like Moody Aerographics and use what you need, or you can type them yourself and scotch tape them in place. I've purchased some of the placards from Cessna and if you are looking for "original", don't buy them from Cessna. The true originals were clear decals with sort of an ivory lettering. The current ones from Cessna are not the same - one or two may have been clear, but the rest were mostly black w/white lettering and the operating limitations one was silver w/black lettering. If you want clear w/white lettering any decent graphics shop should be able to to produce it for you.
Doug
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I have a friend that found some material that he could use to make water transfer decals on his home printer. I'm not sure what the stuff is or where to get it, but it sure did a nice job on his Pulsar panel. I'll check with him to find out what it is and report back.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I really cheaped out on the placards for mine (none of which were in place when I bought it)-- I just photocopied the TCDS, scissored out the placard wording boxes, and scotch-taped them in visible but inobtrusive locations. The baggage limits are way back at the aft end of the baggage bay, and the operating limits are on the lower RH sub-panel.

Eric
dacker

Post by dacker »

If you are going to make them yourself, buy a package of clear full sheet labels, copy the verbage from the TCDS and cut them out. Peel off the back and use a soft tissue to apply them. If they get messed up in the future just reprint them. Very easy and very neat. I had trouble trying to order them from a Cessna parts source and what they had were too expensive for a DINKY LITTLE DECAL!
David
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I might add that while I would hope you join the TIC170A to help support this forum and those individuals who volunteer their time to post and make it all work, the TCDS or Type Certificate Data Sheet is available from the FAA web site as well.

I have used labels generated from my computer onto clear label material as well at those make with Ptouch and other label making machines.

One problem with the clear label method is that your printer does not have white or light colored ink. In normal printing those colors are created with the white paper being used. So if black, red, yellow or blue won't work for you, you need to use another medium.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Remember that the placards mentioned in the TCDS are only those that are unique to the 170 and are in addition to those that are required in CAR-3 (the section of the FAR under which the 170 was certified).
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
dacker

Post by dacker »

OK, I'll bite Karl. What else should we be placarding in our airplanes. I recently redid my interior and I only have the placards from the TCDS in mine.
David
Dennis

Placards and Decals

Post by Dennis »

Thank you gentelmen for your efforts and information. I now have a place to start. Remember to follow the flight line and put the prop wash away when you done using it. Regards, Dennis
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

dacker wrote:OK, I'll bite Karl. What else should we be placarding in our airplanes. I recently redid my interior and I only have the placards from the TCDS in mine.
David
Well here are most that apply to the 170. Also please note that I am not trying to get nitpicky here as my airplane falls short on a few of these and after putting in a new interior myself, I am in the process of correcting them.

§ 3.767 Fuel, oil, and coolant filler
openings. The following information shall be
marked on or adjacent to the filler cover in each
case:
(a) The word "fuel," the minimum
permissible fuel octane number for the engines
installed, and the usable fuel tank capacity. (See
§ 3.437.)
(b) The word "oil" and the oil tank capacity.

§ 3.763 Aerodynamic controls. The
secondary controls shall be suitably marked to
comply with §§ 3.337 and 3.338.

This would be trim and flaps in the 170 and Cessna labeled the trim with "nose up--nose down" and a "takeoff" green band. I believe the flaps were labeled with available flap positions and the do not slip with full flaps .

§ 3.759 Power-plant instruments. All
required power-plant instruments shall be marked
with a red radial line at the maximum and minimum
(if applicable) indications for safe operation. The
normal operating ranges shall be marked with a
green arc which shall not extend beyond the
maximum and minimum limits for continuous
operation. Take-off and precautionary ranges
shall be marred with a yellow arc.

§ 3.762 General. All cockpit controls, with
the exception of the primary flight controls, shall
be plainly marked as to their function and method
of operation.

§ 3.764 Power-plant fuel controls. (a)
Controls for fuel tank selector valves shall be
marked to indicate the position corresponding to
each tank and to all existing cross feed positions.

(d) The capacity of each tank shall be
indicated adjacent to or on the fuel tank selector
control.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
dacker

Post by dacker »

Thanks Karl, I am missing the trim and flap markings and probably the oil info. The "do not slip with full flaps" only applies to the B model.
David
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

There is NO limitation to slipping with flaps in a B model. Not a smart thing to do grant you but no limitation.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

N9149A wrote:There is NO limitation to slipping with flaps in a B model. Not a smart thing to do grant you but no limitation.
If you ever try it at low altitude and get away with it, you'll make it a personal limitation.
Miles

— Thomas Browne
cessna170bdriver

cessna170bdriver wrote:I have a friend that found some material that he could use to make water transfer decals on his home printer. I'm not sure what the stuff is or where to get it, but it sure did a nice job on his Pulsar panel. I'll check with him to find out what it is and report back.

Miles
Theses are my friend's responses:

Miles, you can go to most hobby shops or find on-line decal paper. They sell it is 8 1/2 by 11 inch sheets costs about $1.50 each. On your PC design and print your decal designs on a color printer. Take the decal sheets and your color print to a copy shop (Kinko's) that has a color laser copier. Ask them to copy the color paper print onto the decal sheet. Cut the decal's out and do the water transfer to the instrument panel and let dry. Spray clear over the panel to make the decal's permanent.

Things have gotten better since I did mine and now you can do the decal's on your own color printer... Go take a look.

http://www.paper-paper.com/water-slip-decals1.html
Miles

— Thomas Browne
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
N9149A wrote:There is NO limitation to slipping with flaps in a B model. Not a smart thing to do grant you but no limitation.
If you ever try it at low altitude and get away with it, you'll make it a personal limitation.
I like how they worded that one... "Avoid slips with flaps extended"... "Avoid"... Talk about an understatement. Why didn't they write it as "Umm, by the way, if you have the flaps extended and you're thinking about slipping it... you might not want to do that... just a suggestion".

It's a good thing that guy didn't work for U/L, otherwise our electrical appliances might have warnings like "Avoid using a hairdryer while sitting in a bathtub". :roll:
Doug