I need ELT Installed NOW -BUT 02/01/2009 is only 29 MONTHS

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

I need ELT Installed NOW -BUT 02/01/2009 is only 29 MONTHS

Post by MoonlightVFR »

My NARCO ELT 10 just disappeared . The mounting tray is empty.

Purchased new Ameriking Ak-450 .. Never installed. Still in box.

I have tried to search for current feelings/ activity on forums but don't come up with answers.

What shall I do? Are there any 170's w the new 406 ELT installed? If so what brand? Where was installation made in airframe?

I searched looking for an old ELT10 thinking I could just purchase
a new battery and have old unit tapped w rubber mallet to demo functionaltiy. This is probably just wrong reasoning on the subject.

Please advise.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Here's the way I understand the rule:
Installing the ACK Elt should not pose a problem...as long as it continues to work without service other than battery replacements. When it becomes unserviceable...after the drop-dead date,...then it may not be repaired for reinstallation. In other words, the old-style ELT's are eligible for continued service and are grandfathered in Part 91 useage...until they require repair. Then they must not be reinstalled....they must be replaced with the 409 Elts.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
JTS

Post by JTS »

Hey MoonlightVFR, I know it's probably obvious, but did your mechanic reinstall the ELT after it's last recertification :?: :o . Just a thought.

Jody
'52 170B CF-FDH Ser# 20841
MoonlightVFR

NEED ELT now

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Thank you for the reply.

Yes the same mech had checked the elt / new battery on prior basis.

This time he stated, " There was no ELT in tray when airplane came into shop."

I was totally oblivious to the changes about to happen w regard to ELTs.

I have had one person suggest that I install a new 121.5 ELT now and see what happens in 2009 . Grandfather clause?

regards,
gradyb
jrenwick

ELT: TSO C91a or C126

Post by jrenwick »

If I had to buy an ELT today, here's how I'd think about the choices:

1. For the time being, we have a choice between the old TSO-C91a (121.5 MHz) models, and the new TSO-C126 (406 MHz) models.
2. You can buy an old-style one, and use it for as long as it keeps working.
3. The prices on the new ones may come down if you wait to buy one. They seem to be dropping below $1K now (http://www.artex.net/me406.html).
4. The advantages of 406MHz:
a. SAR organizations will respond much faster to a 406MHz signal. There are so many false alerts on 121.5 that they wait until they have independent confirmation that someone is missing before they go looking.
b. The 406 signal identifies your aircraft, so they know right away who they're looking for, and can follow up with the contact information you give when the ELT is registered.
c. The 406MHz signal is stronger, and locates you more accurately than 121.5. It should take less SAR time to find you.

So I guess it all depends on what kind of flying you do, and how important you think ELTs are for safety. For some, I'm sure it's worth getting the new one now. Here's what the Air Force has to say about it:

http://www.acc.af.mil/shared/media/docu ... 05-037.doc

Best Regards,

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
MoonlightVFR

Need Elt Now

Post by MoonlightVFR »

John

Thank you for the info I read a.b. c. and I think most of us will think yes I am worth 750.00 extra.

I clicked on the link and was futher informed and surprised that the ELT
organizational responsibilty was ultimately with the UNITED NATIONS.
Wow ! Blue helmets.
I want protection but seems a waiting game has developed.

regards,
gradyb
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Yep! It's a waiting game.

Related to false alerts on 121.5, one of them was a factor in the famous Washington D.C. ADIZ violation by a Cessna 150 that forced the evacuation of the White House and US Capitol in May of 2005. The whole amazing story is here (you have to be an AOPA member): http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot ... t0601.html. If you haven't read it, you should. (If you aren't an AOPA member, join now!)
Someone in the helicopter held up a sign that clearly said on it "121.5." Sheaffer, who said he knew immediately that 121.5 MHz was the emergency frequency, tuned it in.

"All that we hear is a beeping sound like a garbage truck backing up," said Martin. "So we try to listen in between. Do we hear a voice behind that? And there is nothing except the beeping. And so Jim broadcast on that frequency, communicating that we are Two-Six-Golf and we see the Black Hawk, and [we] ask them, 'What do you want us to do?' We wait and hear nothing other than the beeping."
There's gotta be a better way than having a zillion shock-activated transmitters armed to block the emergency frequency!

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Moonlight,
At last annual I put the new type in... I still have the old one if it is of use to you. I think it is a Narco. You want me to look?
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
trake

Post by trake »

Does the new type require an external antenna? It would be nice to be rid of it.
The United Nations in charge of rescueing Americans?-dont see any problems with that :x
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
N2540V

Post by N2540V »

jrenwick wrote:Someone in the helicopter held up a sign that clearly said on it "121.5." Sheaffer, who said he knew immediately that 121.5 MHz was the emergency frequency, tuned it in.

<snip>

There's gotta be a better way than having a zillion shock-activated transmitters armed to block the emergency frequency!
Actually, the Homeland Security Helicopter then held up a second frequency and it did not work either. I have been told that Homeland Security did not maintain the electrical static in the helicopter and their radio was TU.

If they can hold up a frequency, they can hold up a follow me sign.
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

N2540V wrote:
jrenwick wrote:Someone in the helicopter held up a sign that clearly said on it "121.5." Sheaffer, who said he knew immediately that 121.5 MHz was the emergency frequency, tuned it in.

<snip>

Actually, the Homeland Security Helicopter then held up a second frequency and it did not work either. I have been told that Homeland Security did not maintain the electrical static in the helicopter and their radio was TU.

If they can hold up a frequency, they can hold up a follow me sign.
Yeah, the AOPA source I linked to above made that point as well. Sure makes interesting reading on the subject of aviation security, doesn't it? 8O

John
N2540V

There I was.....

Post by N2540V »

There I was........I was waiting for an appointment with a representative from another state when the alarm went off.

It was a madhouse with everybody heading out.
I slowed down my stairwell so that everybody did not trample the people ahead of them. It worked pretty good, but some young teenagers squeezed past me - they have been brought up on fear.

Everybody was standing about 100 feet from the building and watching.
It was an accident waiting to happen.

I walked several blocks away and took a cab back to my hotel.
It was going to take hours to get the people back in through the metal detectors. I decided to go do something constructive since the rest of my appointments for the day were toast.

It was such a joke......