what model engine

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

davevramp

what model engine

Post by davevramp »

For a hp up grade to a Lycoming O-360 what model engine are required to what STC are required. Which STC would you recommend? Just in the planning/dreaming stage. Try to find an o-360 is tough job. And they are not cheap. Are there any STC for the IO-360?
Thanks In advance
Dave
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If you haven't already, you should talk to:
Harry Dellicker - Del-Air, 2121 S. Wildcat Way, Porterville, CA 93257. Phone: 559-784-9440

He's knowlegeable and willing to talk about these matters, generally has excellent advice, and this is the sort of work he does.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Dave,

When you asked if there was a STC for the IO-360, I do not believe there is one for the Lycoming IO-360, but there is one for the Continental IO-360.
It is held by Tom Anderson of XP Mods. He also now has one for the early C-172.
I have done the Continental IO-360 modification and it is really spectacular, and only runs about $30,000 to $35,000 when finished. Of course, that is if you do most of the work yourself.
BL
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Dave I'm knee deep in the DelAir STC, and will probably be flying again next month PM if you have any questions I'll tell you what I've discovered. The motor that is called for with the DelAir STC is the Lyc. O360A1A (that's the hollow crank for a CS prop) or you can use the O360A2A with a fixed pitch. There may be some leeway for slightly different models but you would want to talk to Harry about that since he produced that STC. I was briefly contemplating a motor out of a C177, it was an O360A1C(?) I think it would have worked but I went with an A1A instead.
Chris
squaretail

Post by squaretail »

30K is a lot of money for 35 hp. Sell your plane and buy a 180 or go big and do the 220 franklin. You will like the power and it is less that 30K and that is for a 75hp increase. Dell air stc is 10K. I had to have Harry redo an engine mount twice before it was right. This day and age it is pay for as much hp gain as possible or just buy another plane like I did and let the 170 go on to some other dreamer about performance upgrades.It is a waste of money to do any engine up grade unless you buy a project cheap. Thats why there are 180's and 185's if yoo want to stay with the spam can. Look at Maule's for a sleeper performer.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

squaretail wrote:30K is a lot of money for 35 hp. Sell your plane and buy a 180 or go big and do the 220 franklin. You will like the power and it is less that 30K and that is for a 75hp increase. Dell air stc is 10K. I had to have Harry redo an engine mount twice before it was right. This day and age it is pay for as much hp gain as possible or just buy another plane like I did and let the 170 go on to some other dreamer about performance upgrades.It is a waste of money to do any engine up grade unless you buy a project cheap. Thats why there are 180's and 185's if yoo want to stay with the spam can. Look at Maule's for a sleeper performer.
I disagree. If you are ready for an overhaul on the original engine anyway, you're going to drop $20K for a first-class job. Another $10-$15K isn't too bad considering the prop is about half of that, and the paperwork/labor the rest. Maule's are ugly and don't hold value like a 170. And 220 Franklin engines are defunct/dead-ends. The TCM IO-360 is a 195-210 hp smooth 6-cylinder and is a fine, sleek-fitting upgrade. When I get older and no longer an originality nazi...that's what N146YS is getting when the O-300 is worn out.

As for the 180/185 Cessna's...they're wonderful airplanes, if you like square tails. While the square tails is certainly more effective control surfaces, I like the challenge of shapely tails on planes and wimmen. :P
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

gahorn wrote:I disagree. If you are ready for an overhaul on the original engine anyway, you're going to drop $20K for a first-class job. Another $10-$15K isn't too bad considering the prop is about half of that, and the paperwork/labor the rest. Maule's are ugly and don't hold value like a 170. And 220 Franklin engines are defunct/dead-ends. The TCM IO-360 is a 195-210 hp smooth 6-cylinder and is a fine, sleek-fitting upgrade. When I get older and no longer an originality nazi...that's what N146YS is getting when the O-300 is worn out.

As for the 180/185 Cessna's...they're wonderful airplanes, if you like square tails. While the square tails is certainly more effective control surfaces, I like the challenge of shapely tails on planes and wimmen. :P
I agree. Having owned several 170's and 180's. If I had a 170 again and it needed an overhaul I'd look closely at the TCM IO-360. The Lycoming 180 (in my last 170) put the plane about half way toward a C-180 in terms of performance. It would be nice to get the other half and still have the great looks and handling of the 170.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
squaretail

Post by squaretail »

Everyone has there on way of seeing things. I am in to performance not looks. The Dellair stc is way to much then the engine and prop. The increase in performance wears off fast and then you want more. The Continental IO-360 210 hp is ok but if you have to overhaul one look out. Plus finding one. They are not as common as the Lycoming 0-360A1A. The Maule 210C will blow any 170 away and yeah the price is cheap.Even better the M4 220C . Old round tail with big payload and cheap. But a work horse. The good old C-180 is looking great, the prices on all them and most planes are coming down. A hand full of cash can drop a lot of the asking price. But if you have the cash and love your 170 do it. I have been there done that and flown them with power upgrades and only voice what I seen. It is like the high school days of that first car, the guy loved it and pumped every pay check into it and had it for years and years. Never made it the way he wanted it but kept on trying with more money. Then it sat along side the house for a few years until some kid came and gave him $500.00 for it. You are better off finding someone elses big bucks upgrade that they take the loss on.
If no one wanted to do it to there airplane they just love.The stc holders would go broke! :roll:
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

There's some truth in that squaretail. I've been having flashbacks to that Mustang I had when I was seventeen, I put more money into motor and suspension than I paid for the car. On the flipside though I still have some really fond memories of that car, and though the new ones are better they just don't seem to have any soul.

The Lyc. O360 is only another 35hp, and in fact it's only rated at that for 7 minutes, however with the CS prop it's putting out about 80hp more when you release the brakes for takeoff. Even on climb out it's still getting 60+hp more than the O300. If someone would get an MT electric CS prop STC'd for the C170 I think that would be the way to go, but there isn't such a thing yet and may never be. One of the other factors that made me decide on the Lyc. is weight, it's actually lighter than the c145/O300, which helps make up for the CS prop. The Cont. IO360, and the Franklin 350 are both heavier than the C145/O300.

Don't upgrade the motor of your airplane if you aren't in love with it, and if you do upgrade your bird make sure you can have all the pieces around at once otherwise you may be grounded for a long time waiting for parts.
squaretail

Post by squaretail »

Jr.cubuilder you said it. Grounded and looking for parts. That is the worst. Gota have it now means full price, Flying is great and I feel very lucky to be able to do it. It is funny how we will spend so much money just to be in the air. If it makes you happy do it. The hell with the rest. You only get one chance at it! Everyone have fun Flying and have Great Holidays. Over and Out!
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

Dave check with Dave Stoots in Fairbanks, Alaska. Not positive but I think he might have a STC for the I0-360 Lycoming. He was talking about it several years ago. Be a more readly availble engine than the continental.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The four cylinder Lycoming IO-360 will never be as silky smooth as the Continental six cylinder IO-360.

I have to agree with George about round tails. I'm not all that fussy about airplanes, but on "wimmen", it's the only way to go!
BL
Watkinsnv

IO-360 LYC

Post by Watkinsnv »

When I was getting my STC from Del-Air for the LYC O-360 he mentioned he had a STC for the LYC IO-360 for the 170 A/B. But he said that his flight tests showed little or no difference between the two and didn't recemend it for all the fuel system routing and rework. Lance